From: "Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com>
Subject: Re: Ada2005 temp solo child
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:50:39 +0200
Date: 2002-09-13T13:50:40+00:00	[thread overview]

Peter Hermann wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
>
>>But if you have a parentless child, why isn't the child then the parent?
>

> because of a couple of practical aspects:
> o  hierarchical grouping (similar to ada.text_io instead of text_io)
> o  order of development of the source code
> o  parent becoming superfluous in higher versions
> o  the concept of far reaching independence of a child is charming, anyway.

One might even add that this is common practice in Java for example (where the
problem described here does not exist) to make package names globally unique.
All my packages are child packages of a hierarchy starting at "de.ibpaus" and
these packages are actually empty. Its just Ada which forces me to write two
empty dummy packages to satisfy the compiler.

Michael