* Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-08 19:19 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have switched over Gnoga.com to use Gnoga's new auto fall back from websockets to long polling http and ajax.

Would you please help me test this by trying the site and reporting if it _doesn't_ work for you. In all cases you will need Java Script enabled for the full site.

If it doesn't work, please let me know what type of network you are on (satellite, cable, DLS, T1, etc.), if behind a firewall or proxy server.

Thanks
David Botton

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-10  2:00 ` Hubert
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Hubert @ 2015-02-10  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems to work fine for me. TWC here with their rented modem

---

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11  7:24   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-11  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've now improved the fallback process even more and gnoga sites should load in all cases even under text based browsers like Lynx. Of course there can't be any direct interactivity in such a text based browser since there is no JavaScript but these changes make Gnoga a complete non-HTML or JavaScript way to develop not just Web, Mobile and Desktop Apps, but full websites for the public.

Please report if http://www.gnoga.com is failing or not working for you with the new updated fallback process.

Thanks!
David Botton

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11 20:15     ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2015-02-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-02-11, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

> Please report if http://www.gnoga.com is failing or not working for you with
> the new updated fallback process.

[Firefox on Linux, NoScript in use.]

That's much more detailed than when I looked at it a few days ago.

I notice the page does not finish loading, but appears to be complete.
Are you holding a connection open in order to determine how long someone
stays on the page ?

Minor note: It would probably be better to insert "enabled" after
Javascript in:

	If you are seeing this you do not have JavaScript and are not
	seeing the website, but a no script version for crawlers.

You also need some full stops or other punctuation in the following:

|Gnoga Features
|
|Realtime live server push web-app technology Write complex web-apps or desktop
|apps with no HTML or JS The same code base can deploy as a web-app, desktop or
|mobile app Server side and client side development is in same code base and all
|in Ada 2012 Gnoga applications are clear and easy to read and write Extensive
|concurrency support Integrates easily with C/C++ or any other server side
|language or library Bind any javascript based client libraries to take
|advantage of existing UI developments
|
|Gnoga Platforms
|
|Desktop GNU/Linux Apple Macintosh OS X Microsoft Windows And other gcc/ada
|compatible platforms Embedded Android Raspberry Pi And other gcc/ada compatible
|cross environments

Simon.

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11 20:26       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-11 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [Firefox on Linux, NoScript in use.]

NoScript will not allow the page to function, but you will get a dump of the contents. Same would be the case on old browsers, text browsers like Lynx, etc.

> I notice the page does not finish loading, but appears to be complete.
> Are you holding a connection open in order to determine how long someone
> stays on the page ?

It is maintained open if WebSockets fail (which will be the case if NoScript is on) in order to continue to inject more script for interactions. In your case since NoScript is in place it just sits open since your browser will not respond.

> Minor note: It would probably be better to insert "enabled" after
> Javascript in:
>
> 	If you are seeing this you do not have JavaScript and are not
> 	seeing the website, but a no script version for crawlers.

Thanks, good point. I'll make the change today or tomorrow.

> You also need some full stops or other punctuation in the following:

Thank you very much! I'll go through and make the changes as well soon.

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11 20:55         ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2015-02-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-02-11, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

>> [Firefox on Linux, NoScript in use.]
>
> NoScript will not allow the page to function, but you will get a
> dump of the contents. Same would be the case on old browsers, text
> browsers like Lynx, etc.

Yes, that's exactly why I tested it using NoScript because it should
be the same as using Lynx and friends.

However, there's another problem.

I don't have Lynx installed on the machine I am currently using, but
I do have Links installed, which is also a text mode browser. With
the command line:

        links www.gnoga.com

I get the following:

       ╔═════════════════════════ Unknown type

       ║  What would you like to do with the file '' (type:
       ║  application/octet-stream)?

       ║  Program ('%' will be replaced by the filename)

       ║  [ ] Block the terminal

       ║  [ Open ]  [ Save ]  [ Display ]  [ Show header ]  [ Cancel ]

As you are serving the page as application/octet-stream, Links clearly
thinks I am trying to download a file, and sure enough, if I select Open
then the raw HTML for the page is displayed instead of the HTML output.

Simon.

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11 21:08           ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2015-02-11 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-02-11, Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> wrote:

> I don't have Lynx installed on the machine I am currently using, but
> I do have Links installed, which is also a text mode browser. With
> the command line:
>
>         links www.gnoga.com

I've just logged into a VMS system which does have Lynx installed and
I've tried it from there as well.

The page renders correctly using Lynx on VMS, but, while I can navigate
down the completed page using the space bar, I can't navigate back up
the page until I hit Ctrl-C to interrupt the same open connection
(and say no to exit Lynx) I mentioned in the previous message.

After doing that, I can scroll back up the page in Lynx.

Simon.

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11 21:58             ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-11 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> After doing that, I can scroll back up the page in Lynx.

I have added a way for Gnoga to detect the JavaScript failures and then close the connection. So now the scroll back and links should work under lynx.

BTW, thanks to an update from Dmitry and a few mods, the fall back method of long_polling and ajax is as nearly as fast as websockets now.

try: http://snake.gnoga.com/ajax.html

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-11 22:53 ` Shark8
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2015-02-11 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08-Feb-15 12:19, David Botton wrote:
> I have switched over Gnoga.com to use Gnoga's new auto fall back from websockets
> to long polling http and ajax.
>
> Would you please help me test this by trying the site and reporting if it
> _doesn't_ work for you. In all cases you will need Java Script enabled for the
> full site.
>
> If it doesn't work, please let me know what type of network you are on
> (satellite, cable, DLS, T1, etc.), if behind a firewall or proxy server.
>
> Thanks
> David Botton

You might want to move the moscript message ("If you are seeing this you
do not have JavaScript and are not seeing the website, but a no script
version for crawlers.") up higher, maybe put it in a div/span with a
background-color of yellow to make it stand out.

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
@ 2015-02-12  2:12 ` johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2015-02-12  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 2:19:42 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
> I have switched over Gnoga.com to use Gnoga's new auto fall back from websockets to long polling http and ajax.
>
> Would you please help me test this by trying the site and reporting if it _doesn't_ work for you. In all cases you will need Java Script enabled for the full site.
>
> If it doesn't work, please let me know what type of network you are on (satellite, cable, DLS, T1, etc.), if behind a firewall or proxy server.
>
> Thanks
> David Botton

works fine
great work!
love to hear of new solutions to the web and gui problem

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-12 17:58 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2015-02-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would be cool to demonstrate a multiplayer / network game.
No need to be too complicated (like 3D stuff), see for example this game:

  http://www.axisthegame.com/

Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: Gnoga.com - please try
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-13 17:43 ` Colin Paul de Gloucester
From: Colin Paul de Gloucester @ 2015-02-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)