From: Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org>
Subject: Re: Hard and soft real time with Ada
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:40:26 +0000
Date: 2010-05-17T10:40:26+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Dmitry A. Kazakov sent:

|"On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:19:00 -0700 (PDT), zeta_no wrote:                  |
|                                                                           |
|[..]                                                                       |
|                                                                           |
|> Question 3: Does the Real Time Annex helps with that? I mean trying to   |
|> make real time programming on a general purpose OS."                     |

A general operating system is not real-time, regardless of language.

|"[..]                                                                      |
|                                                                           |
|> Question 4: Now, if the best option is to use a real time kernel, what   |
|> about the need for a USB camera and some specialized library like        |
|> OpenCV for making some computer vision on a multi-core architecture?     |
|> This kind of support on real time kernel looks almost inexistent, let    |
|> say in open source options like RTEMS or MarteOS.                        |
|Hmm, I doubt USB can be considered real-time. But I see no obvious reason  |
|why a computer vision application could not tolerate some jitter (say      |
|100µs). I guess you just do not need "very hard" real-time.                |

USB is not real-time.