* The “Ada 2012” logo: what's its status?
@ 2013-08-26 18:27 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2013-08-26 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello here,

I feel the question was already posted, but I could not get it back (or
may be I'm wrong too, and it was not discussed).

I was wondering what's the status of the logo available at ada2012.org. I
downloaded the ZIP archive from the link at the bottom of the home‑page,
but it contains no explanatory document, neither a license, intended
usages, rules for use; well, nothing.

Is this an AdaCore logo or is this really a common Ada logo? If this is an
AdaCore only logo, I will seek for another one; while until now, nothing
seems to attach this logo to AdaCore exclusively.

At least this logo is better than others as it integrates better than the
famous Ada coin, which is a funny one, except it does not always fit well.
The only issue I see: it does not scale‑down very well, due to the curve
below the three letters, Ada (may be too thin), on resolutions low as an
height of 75 pixels, which seems to be the lowest limit for it; but it's
OK, that's not ugly.

Any one knows anything about the intended use and status and intended
representation of this overall well designed logo?

* Re: The “Ada 2012” logo: what's its status?
@ 2013-08-26 18:52 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2013-08-26 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Under the Get the Logo tab, it says

   "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs
   3.0 Unported License. In addition, AdaCore waives its right to
   attribution provided that the Work is used as otherwise authorized
   under the License."

See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

* Re: The “Ada 2012” logo: what's its status?
@ 2013-08-26 20:19   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2013-08-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:52:25 +0200, Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> a
écrit:

> Under the Get the Logo tab, it says
>
>    "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs
>    3.0 Unported License. In addition, AdaCore waives its right to
>    attribution provided that the Work is used as otherwise authorized
>    under the License."
>
> See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

Oh, I missed it, shame on me.

The link says:

> You must attribute the work in the manner specifiedby the author or
> licensor (but not in any way thatsuggests that they endorse you or your
> use of the work).

So this one part means this needs to be attributed to AdaCore, the
company? May be in an “About” page or something similar. That's not a big
issue, except if it means an explicit reference to AdaCore, while I'm
seeking for a logo which refers to Ada and Ada users and applications as a
whole, not AdaCore exclusively.

This contradicts with the quote you made from the referring page:

> In addition, AdaCore waives its right to
> attribution provided that the Work is used as otherwise authorized
> under the License.

Obviously, it will be used as authorized by the mentioned license, as
there is no transformation or derivation (just colourization, as the
original is a grayscale picture), so this is as much obvious I don't have
to credit AdaCore, the company?

That's for a tiny thing, but I want to be sure it's OK, as it will
purposely be clearly visible on multiple pages header.

I wish ISO had published a standard logo for Ada aside the ARM (teasing).

* Re: The “Ada 2012” logo: what's its status?
@ 2013-08-27  2:31     ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2013-08-27  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)