* Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-08-30  3:58 Likhith
From: Likhith @ 2002-08-30  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Can someone suggest a good book on ADA 95 for me, please.

Here is a bit about myself which may help you decide which book(s) will be
good for me.

I have a B.Sc in Computer Science from Brock University, Canada. I also have
a three year Diploma in Computer Hardware Engineering.

I did not find much of an opening for ADA programmers ( I may be very
ignorant about the ADA job market ). I am trying to learn ADA just because I
am interested in learning it.

It will be most appreciated if someone can let me know where I can download
the compiler from.

I use Win98. Is it possible to write programs for Win 9x/ Win 2000 using
ADA? Is there an IDE for ADA?

Please let me know whatever information ou may be having regarding the books
and compiler.

You can send the mail to li_areekkal@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Regards,
Likhith

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-08-30  9:36 ` John McCabe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John McCabe @ 2002-08-30  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:58:32 GMT, "Likhith" <areekkal_2002@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Can someone suggest a good book on ADA 95 for me, please.

Have you had a look at previous versions of this question on Google
groups? (See http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en,
enter comp.lang.ada in the newsgroups box and search for "book" and
"recommend"). Actually, just try:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=recommend%20book&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=comp.lang.ada&lr=&hl=en

There were 375 matches when I just did it!

By the way, it's Ada, not ADA (ADA is, for one, the Americans with
Disabilities Act - which isn't very appropriate!).

>Here is a bit about myself which may help you decide which book(s) will be
>good for me.

>I have a B.Sc in Computer Science from Brock University, Canada. I also have
>a three year Diploma in Computer Hardware Engineering.

Ok then - get "Ada as a second language" by Norman Cohen. See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070116075/qid=1030699741/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5220931-2002548?v=glance&s=books

Alternatively, if you look at:

http://www.adaic.org/free/freebook.html

You might find something useful.

Look at http://www.adapower.com/ - there's loads of information.

>Please let me know whatever information ou may be having regarding the books
>and compiler.

You really should be looking at the archives on Google groups for
these answers because the questions have all been asked many, many
times before, but I hope my suggestions are of use.

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-08-30 13:26 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-08-30 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Likhith" <areekkal_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<I3Cb9.41400$6m61.22017@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Can someone suggest a good book on ADA 95 for me, please.
> Please let me know whatever information ou may be having regarding the books
> and compiler.

Surf on over to http://www.adapower.org/ , young grasshopper, and be
enlightened. :-)

* Re: Please suggest a good book on
@ 2002-08-30 15:07 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-08-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Likhith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone suggest a good book on ADA 95 for me, please.

http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

is the best IMO!!!

> It will be most appreciated if someone can let me know where I can download
> the compiler from.

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ is a popular free compiler

> I use Win98. Is it possible to write programs for Win 9x/ Win 2000 using
> ADA?

Yes.

As Ted says www.adapower.com is the main place for Ada stuff.

--
for personal replies change 'spamoff' to 'chris'

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-08-30 17:40 ` Ingo Marks
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-08-30 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Likhith wrote:

> Can someone suggest a good book on ADA 95 for me, please.

A good Ada 95 features overview (PDF) for programmers:

http://www.adapower.com/learn/adadistilled.html

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-08-31 11:53   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2002-08-31 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John McCabe" <john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ok then - get "Ada as a second language" by Norman Cohen. See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070116075/qid=1030699741/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5220931-2002548?v=glance&s=books

I second this recommendation. This is a very good Ada book.

Ehud

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-09-01  0:18   ` JM
From: JM @ 2002-09-01  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:36:20 GMT,
john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk (John McCabe) wrote:

>>a three year Diploma in Computer Hardware Engineering.
>
>Ok then - get "Ada as a second language" by Norman Cohen. See:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070116075/qid=1030699741/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5220931-2002548?v=glance&s=books

I too think it's a great book, but check out the used book sites
(www.abebooks.com) , I picked up the 2nd edition for $15.00, great
deal.

-jason

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-09-01  1:38     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-09-01  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <qtm2nu0inp65l6tb07t3uovd9nu95khamm@4ax.com>, JM <jmillard1@cox_removethis_.net> writes:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:36:20 GMT,
> john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk (John McCabe) wrote:
>

>>>a three year Diploma in Computer Hardware Engineering.
>>
>>Ok then - get "Ada as a second language" by Norman Cohen. See:
>>
>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070116075/qid=1030699741/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5220931-2002548?v=glance&s=books
>>
> I too think it's a great book, but check out the used book sites
> (www.abebooks.com) , I picked up the 2nd edition for $15.00, great
> deal.

Dedicated Ada fans might prefer to buy new, since those sales are visible
to the publisher and might encourage further publication of Ada books.
It depends on one's economic situation.

Personally I prefer to ask at a local bookstore and get them to order it.
They may order a second copy and make it visible on the shelf.

* Re: Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++
@ 2002-09-01 10:45       ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2002-09-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> Personally I prefer to ask at a local bookstore and get them to order it.
> They may order a second copy and make it visible on the shelf.

My local bookstore told me to buy it from Amazon. Which I did.