From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: Help on record to a Newbie
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:29:06 +0200
Date: 2012-12-30T19:29:06+02:00	[thread overview]

On 12-12-28 10:30 , Cedric wrote:

> What does "alphanumeric screen control" in Ada mean?

If your program uses Text_IO to display its output, the output text
appears sequentially, left to right, top to down, in your command
window, as if written on a typewriter. You can control the format a bit
by Set_Col and New_Line, but not a lot.

By alphanumeric screen control I mean the ability to address the command
window / screen as an array of characters, for example in the classic 24
x 80 lay-out, and have some form of "go to row r, column c" control.
Your mention of clearing the screen made me think that you want this
kind of control.

Libraries for such control over the screen often also allow setting the
color of the text, and/or the background color, and/or some style
options such as bold, italic, blinking (don't!), and perhaps include
also the ability to use some "line-drawing" character set that lets you
draw simple box graphics on the screen.

Of course, all of that is superseded by GUIs, but (as another thread
discusses) GUI coding is not so easy...

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd