From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada.Task_Identification.Abort_Task (Environment_Task) ;
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:53:36 -0400
Date: 2002-07-22T12:53:43+00:00	[thread overview]

Yeah, in this particular instance, it really is just a matter of killing the
whole process and not worrying about finalization or the state of anything.
The OS should be able to clean up anything that matters and I just want the
program to stop. Obviously, this sort of thing could be very dangerous in
the wrong setting because you do avoid finalization and there might be cases
where things would be left in an unknown state. (Files not being properly
updated, for example.) But its not an uncommon need even in embedded
computers. Sometimes you might find yourself in some sort of corrupt state
and the easiest answer is to double-stroke the watchdog timer and force the
computer into a reset that re-initializes the whole thing. It would be nice
if Ada provided a standard way of accomplishing this.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer