* "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault".
@ 2002-07-03 12:18 Darren
From: Darren @ 2002-07-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I got this message from the GVD debugger when I run my program,
"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault"

 What does it mean? What is the problem?

Kind regards,

* Re: "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault".
@ 2002-07-03 13:13 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-07-03 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

SIGSEGV is a UNIX signal sent to the process by the operating
system when the process attempts to access memory at an illegal
address.

There are many causes of  illegal address, so it is impossible to
answer your question more fully without additional information.

In the context of an Ada program, it might well be attempting to
use an access value which was never initialized, or which has
become invalid because the memory which it accesses was freed
by a call to an instantiation of Ada.Unchecked_Deallocation.

I hope this helps.

@ 2002-07-03 14:09   ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2002-07-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In the context of an Ada program, it might well be attempting to
> use an access value which was never initialized,

Every Ada access object is initialized; in the absence of an explicit
initialization, an Ada access object is initialized as null.

> or which has
> become invalid because the memory which it accesses was freed
> by a call to an instantiation of Ada.Unchecked_Deallocation.

That is certainly possible. Access object produced by
Ada.Unchecked_Conversion can also be the cause of this problem.