* Ada 83 to 95
@ 2004-01-29 17:16 Abardeen
From: Abardeen @ 2004-01-29 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello! I'd like to know if there is a list of old commands in ada 83 that
can't work in ada 95 (Anche the new one if present) since i need to do a
porting, thanx in advance!!

* Re: Ada 83 to 95
@ 2004-01-29 18:18 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-01-29 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Abardeen wrote:

> Hello! I'd like to know if there is a list of old commands in ada 83 that
> can't work in ada 95 (Anche the new one if present) since i need to do a
> porting, thanx in advance!!

The first step is to try recompiling your code with an Ada-95 compiler
and see what happens. Backward compatability was an important goal of
the Ada-95 effort. Recompiling is all you have to do most of the time.
If you encounter specific problems we can address them.

You can also review an article about the main problem areas at

http://www.adaic.org/learn/tech/8395comp.html

--
Jeff Carter
"Many times we're given rhymes that are quite unsingable."

* Re: Ada 83 to 95
@ 2004-01-30 16:12   ` Abardeen
From: Abardeen @ 2004-01-30 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The first step is to try recompiling your code with an Ada-95 compiler
> and see what happens. Backward compatability was an important goal of
> the Ada-95 effort. Recompiling is all you have to do most of the time.
> If you encounter specific problems we can address them.

thanx , i will do it. Other questio is: what are the Ada 83 commands that
are substitute into Ada 95 with new one (with the same functionality) like
some pragmas in ada 83 with changed names in ada 95 (if any). Thanx again!

* Re: Ada 83 to 95
@ 2004-01-30 17:02     ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2004-01-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Friday 30 January 2004 16:12, Abardeen wrote:
> ... what are the Ada 83 commands that
> are substitute into Ada 95 with new one (with the same functionality) like
> some pragmas in ada 83 with changed names in ada 95 (if any). Thanx again!

The annotated versions of the RM95 (see www.ada-auth.org) might help, as they
include the relation to Ada 83 on all applicable points.

* Re: Ada 83 to 95
@ 2004-01-30 17:26 ` Dan Eilers
From: Dan Eilers @ 2004-01-30 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Abardeen" <sicon_DELTHIS_@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2ebSb.14043$VS6.6174@tornado.fastwebnet.it>...
> Hello! I'd like to know if there is a list of old commands in ada 83 that
> can't work in ada 95 (Anche the new one if present) since i need to do a
> porting, thanx in advance!!

The introduction to the Ada95 RM, paragraph 4, available at:
  http://www.adapower.com/rm95/arm95_2.html

notes the availability of a helpful document:
  "Changes to Ada -- 1987 to 1995. This document lists in detail
the changes made to the 1987 edition of the standard."

which is available at:
   http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/ase/ase02_01/docs/compat/compat-guide6-0.pdf

Incompatibilities discovered since this guide was published are noted
in the Annotated Ada95 RM, available at:
   http://www.adaic.org/standards/95aarm

Incompatibilities discovered since the AARM was published are noted in
AI-114, available at:

  http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00114.TXT

   -- Dan Eilers