* [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-01 11:02 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-06-01 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Under the premise of 'release early, release often' I'm announcing an alpha
release of "Ada0Y.Directories". This is an implementation of AI-248
(http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00248.TXT). Also included
are AdaBrowse generated html pages containing the AI text as comments to
each subprogram and some test programs.

It isn't 100% complete but it can currently:
 - set/get current directory
 - create/destroy directories
 - create paths
 - search for files/directories (including wildcards)

The URL is:
http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/

It has been implemented and tested on WinNT/WinXP using GNAT 3.15p.

If you can confirm other configurations please send me details via the
'feedback' links and I'll include a table.

If you find any bugs please also send 'feedback'.

Martin Dowie

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-01 12:21 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-01 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> Under the premise of 'release early, release often' I'm announcing an alpha
> release of "Ada0Y.Directories". This is an implementation of AI-248
> (http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00248.TXT). Also included
> are AdaBrowse generated html pages containing the AI text as comments to
> each subprogram and some test programs.
>
> It isn't 100% complete but it can currently:
>  - set/get current directory
>  - create/destroy directories
>  - create paths
>  - search for files/directories (including wildcards)
>
> The URL is:
> http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/

Great! (Noticed that the tests where missing. No tests.zip file it says)

--
Preben Randhol                    http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-01 13:12   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-06-01 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> Martin Dowie wrote:
> > The URL is:
> > http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/
> >

> Great! (Noticed that the tests where missing. No tests.zip file it says)

Thanks - I've fixed the html.

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-01 20:07 ` steve_H
From: steve_H @ 2003-06-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<bbcmgr$c1n$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...

> The URL is:
> http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/

"The exception Use_Error is propagated if
    -- the external environment does not support the creation of a directory
    -- with the given name (in the absence of Name_Error) and form. "

hi;

Man of the functions in that package raise the above exception.

Does the standard allow the user to obtain a specific error as to why
the exception occured? In practice, one would want to know WHY the error
occured, not just that AN error occured.

For example, in Unix, one can read the error number to find more information
about why a function failed (returned -1 for example).  Is it possible to
get this info from the detailed of the exception itself here with Ada somehow?

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-01 20:50   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2003-06-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"steve_H" <nma124@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does the standard allow the user to obtain a specific error as to why
> the exception occured? In practice, one would want to know WHY the error
> occured, not just that AN error occured.

Depends...There is no errno or multi-returnvalue but usually the idea here
is to use different exceptions for cases that should
be processed differently and provide the extra "programmer info" type stuff
from something like Ada.Exceptions.Exception_Message

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-02  7:22     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-06-02  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message news:<mGtCa.538927$Si4.470235@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>...
> "steve_H" <nma124@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Does the standard allow the user to obtain a specific error as to why
> > the exception occured? In practice, one would want to know WHY the error
> > occured, not just that AN error occured.
> >

> Depends...There is no errno or multi-returnvalue but usually the idea here
> is to use different exceptions for cases that should
> be processed differently and provide the extra "programmer info" type stuff
> from something like Ada.Exceptions.Exception_Message

I'll look into providing more detailed error reasons where possible, though
I may consentrate on just getting functionality in first - I only have about
15 minutes a day to devote to this :-)

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-03 16:33       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-06-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:

> I'll look into providing more detailed error reasons where possible,
> though I may consentrate on just getting functionality in first - I only
> have about 15 minutes a day to devote to this :-)

spend you 15 min today on reading:

http://adacl.sourceforge.net/html/______Include__AdaCL-OS-Command__adb.htm

look for  "procedure Start".

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-04 15:27         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-04 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> http://adacl.sourceforge.net/html/______Include__AdaCL-OS-Command__adb.htm

pragma License (GPL);

not pragma License (GMGPL); ?

--

@ 2003-06-04 19:18         ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-06-04 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> spend you 15 min today on reading:
>
> http://adacl.sourceforge.net/html/______Include__AdaCL-OS-Command__adb.htm
>
> look for  "procedure Start".

Thanks for the link.

* Re: [Announcement] Ada0Y.Directories - alpha release
@ 2003-06-08 10:11           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-06-08 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:

http://adacl.sourceforge.net/html/______Include__AdaCL-OS-Command__adb.htm

> pragma License (GPL);
>
> not pragma License (GMGPL); ?

Actualy the LGPL:

--  This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
--  modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
--  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
--  version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

But there is no pragma for it.

Regards

Martin

--

@ 2003-06-09 10:22             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-09 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
>> Martin Krischik wrote:
>>>
> http://adacl.sourceforge.net/html/______Include__AdaCL-OS-Command__adb.htm
>>
>> pragma License (GPL);
>>
>> not pragma License (GMGPL); ?
>
> Actualy the LGPL:
>
> --  This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> --  modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
> --  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> --  version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> But there is no pragma for it.

I see, but check a bit about that license because I remembered some
discussions that it was not so nice.

--
Preben Randhol                    http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/

* Ada0Y.Directories - updated
@ 2003-06-13 16:44 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-06-13 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've uploaded a new version of Ada0Y.Directories at:

http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/

New features in this version are:
  o Copy and rename files
  o Added support for Simple, Base and Full Names
  o Added support for file extensions
  o Added support for modification time*
  o Simple directory name simplification
  o Added exception messages
  o Updated the tests
  o Added more info from the AI as comments to the package spec
  o Added more AdaBrowse tags
  o Added "pragma License" information
  o Created HTML using GNATHTML

* On Win32 this is GMT and not the value seen in Explorer.

Still not 100% compliant but probably good enough for applications.

Thanks to those who have already sent feedback, the more the
better! I'm particularly interested to here from people using
something of than WinNT/WinXP.

Martin