From: Matthias Kretschmer <schreib_mir_du_spacken@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Ada and vectorization
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:24:32 +0200
Date: 2002-06-18T10:24:32+02:00	[thread overview]

Robert A Duff wrote:

> Various early versions of the Ada 9X proposals had some explicit support
> for vectorizing and the like.  I don't remember the details.  You could
> look up the early versions if you're interested.
>
> These were removed, not because there was anything wrong with them
> technically in and of themselves, but because there was a general
> feeling amongst reviewers (especially compiler writers) that there were
> too many new features.
>
> - Bob

Oh didn't wanted to say, this is wrong, but I think there is a better
solution - I do not want to care about, where to use or not use this or
that feature of an architecture or of architectures, maybe they are
changing, what to do next, write some new pragmas, to let the compiler
optimize for the new architectures better? I think that today compilers -
optimizers of compilers - are capable of finding places where to use vector
units or what how ever so cool feature of you cpu, so I want them to decide
and let me alone with the real important stuff. I do not want to know how
many clock cycles A takes in unit B of cpu C. Think of what you have to
know just to get something done, which other compilers do for their own
without bothering the programmer.

The logic to decide when to use or not to use vectorization of instructions
is out there, just someone should implement this in an Ada compiler. No
need to change the language itself. So I do not know how good gcc3.1 is in
vectorization of instructions, but there are some good examples how to do
this right (so I don't know of Ada compiler :( ): Sun's C Compiler, Intel's
C Compiler, both if someone wants them to use, do a lot of vectorization
with clean written code.

--
Greetings
Matthias Kretschmer