From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com>
Subject: Re: about OpenToken
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:39:20 -0600
Date: 2005-12-12T08:39:20-06:00	[thread overview]

Lionel Draghi wrote:
> I have no special preferences. I have a simple grammar to implement, and
>  my main criteria is simplicity.
> When reading OpenToken's doc, I had the impression that a descent
> recursive parser was easier to write (even if beta).
> That's probably wrong. For example, my grammar is not LL1, and this
> cause an extra work when using descent parser in OpenToken.
>
> The fact is that I have spent to much time on this topic.
> I am about to give-up doing the full analysis with OpenToken, and be
> back to "hand made" analysis. I know that this will becomes a nigthmare
> when the grammar will grow in complexity, but for now it's still OK.

I tried out OpenToken, and while I think it's probably pretty good for
nice, rigid grammars, if your needs go beyond that you might need to
look elsewhere.  (In no way am I criticising OpenToken, there are lots
of areas where simple, rigid grammars are all that's needed and
OpenToken does an admirable job with them.)

For XPath In Ada (XIA) (http://www.mckae.com/xia.html) I used AdaGOOP:
http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/ase/ase02_02/tools/usafa/adagoop.

It was a little gnarly to set up and use, since it interacts with lex
and yacc variants called scaflex and scayacc, which I had to dork around
with to build and use.  Once that was done, though, it worked great
building me a parser for the XPath grammar.  Though of course I had to
construct the grammar in the format that AdaGOOP expected, which also
caused me a few headaches (the grammar, not the format).

Once done, it was done though.  Using AdaGOOP is more work than
something like OpenToken, but it works well on those more complex
grammar's, like XPath's, and since I needed XPath querying for the
pending version of DTraq I was motivated to grind through it and get it
working.  (And then make XIA available to the Ada community :-)

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out