From: Britt <britt.snodgrass@gmail.com>
Cc: mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de
Subject: Re: Which compiler / IDE do you recommend for a beginner?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:55:38 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-07-31T18:55:38-07:00	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:42:32 AM UTC-4, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> Give GPS second try. It is very good and more productive to use than
> AdaGide (which is very nice too and was the first choice before GPS
> matured).

I agree. GPS 5.1.1 is very good and easy to use. There is no reason to start with AdaGIDE.

> One thing about GPS. Create and edit your project files manually you will
> have no problems whatsoever.

This is good advice as well. The GPS new project wizard can get you started but from that point on its better to maintain the GNAT Project (.gpr) file manually, especially if you use scenario variables.

.gpr files are easy to understand and very powerful (just read the users guide).   A brief (2 to 10 line) project file may be all you initially need. It would be a Good Thing if other Ada vendors would adopt a gpr-like project structure.