* Re: GNAT "alignment value must be positive"
@ 2015-04-08 20:35 Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2015-04-08 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I said:
> 0 is defined as a possible alignment so that the alignment of a bit-mapped
> component is meaningful (we can't have 'Alignment not meaning anything).
> But I don't know of any reason to specify the alignment as zero,
> everything is always byte allocated by default. There might be some
> machine on which it makes sense to not byte align by default, but I
> haven't encountered it to date.

I should have added that the Recommended Level of Support does seem to
require supporting that (probably should have read it before pushing
"send"!), so in that sense, it's a GNAT bug to not allow it. But
practically, 0 and 1 are the same for a specified alignment; nothing is
going to be different about the default allocation, so it's doesn't really
matter.

                                            Randy.

* GNAT "alignment value must be positive"
@ 2015-04-06 20:16 marciant
From: marciant @ 2015-04-06 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, what is the reason that GNAT does not accept "s'alignment use 0;" on intel x86 systems? I recently read that Alignment_Check is now "no" by default for such systems - but making that configuration setting on GNAT GPL 2014 does not seem to make any difference on the code in question. Is there a different setting to allow items not necessarily aligned to byte boundaries other than setting GNAT to ignore the representation clause?