* Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-04 18:45 Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-06-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I'm between contracts again, I'm wondering what sources people use
when searching for Ada work. I'm specifically interested in contract
work {preferably in AZ [preferably Phoenix {preferably the east
valley}]) or work such that it mostly doesn't matter where I am when I
do it, but anything that people find useful will be interesting.

Naturally I look at the SIGAda/ARA job database (which lists the
openings in chronological order--not very nice when you're more
interested in recent openings rather than ones over a year old) and the
AdaIC job bank, but neither have had any recent postings. I also use
monster.com, dice.com, softwarejobs.com, and hotjobs.com. Dice is the
most useful, followed by monster. Softwarejobs doesn't have many Ada
positions, nor does hotjobs, which also has a pretty useless interface.

Occasionally I look at the Ada-Belgium jobs listings, which have not had
any recent postings, and even less often at the Ada-Deutschland and
Ada-France job listings, neither of which have anything posted this
year, but these are mostly for fun.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone recommends any other sites.

--
Jeff Carter
"My brain hurts!"

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-04 20:55 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-06-04 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would be really nice if there were somewhere to go to find Ada jobs, but
generally when I mention "Ada" to a headhunter, they go "What's that?" :-)
There may be jobs out there but they are just not all that prevalent in any
part of the world one might be interested in. One answer is to increase the
number of people using Ada - but that's a rather long-term solution. :-)
Maybe there needs to be an easier, quicker answer to at least getting info
out on who has jobs in Ada? I wouldn't mind seeing them posted here - even
by headhunters - so long as they listed real Ada jobs and identified the
geography. (or maybe a sub-list Comp.Lang.Ada.Jobs? Or just had "JOBS:" in
the subject?) Is that the sort of thing others would object to? How would it
be made known that this was the prefered method of soliciting resumes?

I agree that most of the web sites aren't very helpful - info too out of
date or just not much in the way of Ada employment listed. Company websites
aren't any better - mostly when resumes go in to their e-mail, its like
dropping them into a black hole.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2002-06-05 15:13   ` Frenk
From: Frenk @ 2002-06-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why not creating a site with a Ada-jobs "forum"? In fact i couldn't find
anything like that on the web.
It's very sad that a beautiful language like Ada is so hidden on the
internet. It would be cool!
If anyone agrees with me we could do anything on my server (www.frenk.com,
btw is my personal site, nothing commercial).

                        Frenk

"Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> wrote in
message news:adj9g7$a61$1@nh.pace.co.uk...

@ 2002-06-05 17:37 ` P S Norby
From: P S Norby @ 2002-06-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Watch out for the following on the job search sites:

    ADA = Americans with Disabilities Act  (AM. Dental Assn. doesn't seem to
be a problem -- no intersection with "software"?)
    adapt
    radar
    Canada
    Nevada
    Ada, OK (or MI,...)
    CADAM

There are probably more.  At least it's not "C".  ;-)

(For the humor impared, I mean that searching on "C" would not narrow things
down at all.)  (Then, again, most of the jobs are C related, so it doesn't
matter -- unless you don't want to find them.)

I've been looking for quite a while now.  Things are pretty slow, which
isn't pretty!  Anyone with hot leads for a senior sw eng. with lots of Ada
experience (since 1983!), please feel free to reply.

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-05 19:09   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-06-05 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> ... who has jobs in Ada? I wouldn't mind seeing them posted here - even
> by headhunters - so long as they listed real Ada jobs and identified the
> geography. (or maybe a sub-list Comp.Lang.Ada.Jobs? Or just had "JOBS:" in
> the subject?)

Personally I think anything that furthers the use of Ada is suitable for
posting here, and on the Team-Ada mailing list, but I know there are
those who disagree.

--
Jeff Carter
"You couldn't catch clap in a brothel, silly English K...niggets."

* RE: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-06  0:07     ` Steven Deller
From: Steven Deller @ 2002-06-06  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm confused.  In IE I searched for "Ada language jobs".  The top hit
was Ada IC's job page:
  http://adaic.org/jobs/

What is missing from that site that you would "add"?

Regards,
Steve Deller

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-06 12:05       ` Frenk
From: Frenk @ 2002-06-06 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're right, i'd never seen that site before!

"Steven Deller" <deller@smsail.com> wrote in message
> I'm confused.  In IE I searched for "Ada language jobs".  The top hit
> was Ada IC's job page:
>   http://adaic.org/jobs/
>
> What is missing from that site that you would "add"?
>
> Regards,
> Steve Deller

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-07 13:09         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-06-07 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I took a look there just now and there were all of 7 jobs posted there this
year. The most recent was almost two months ago. Is that all the jobs there
are in Ada? Two possible conclusions: 1) There just aren't many jobs in Ada.
2) There are many jobs in Ada, but nobody posts them to the AdaIC site.
Probably the truth is somewhere between the two. :-)

MDC
--

"Frenk" <francesco.devittori[AT]epfl.ch> wrote in message
> You're right, i'd never seen that site before!
>
> "Steven Deller" <deller@smsail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm confused.  In IE I searched for "Ada language jobs".  The top hit
> > was Ada IC's job page:
> >   http://adaic.org/jobs/
> >
> > What is missing from that site that you would "add"?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steve Deller

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-08  0:04           ` Darren New
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Darren New @ 2002-06-08  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:
> 2) There are many jobs in Ada, but nobody posts them to the AdaIC site.

I think SAIC has a lot of jobs doing defense work in Ada. At least, more
than 7. At least, last I looked.

--
Darren New
** http://home.san.rr.com/dnew/DNResume.html **

     My brain needs a "back" button so I can
         remember where I left my coffee mug.

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-08  2:15           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-06-08  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <adqb9v$4ol$1@nh.pace.co.uk>, "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> writes:
> I took a look there just now and there were all of 7 jobs posted there this
> year. The most recent was almost two months ago. Is that all the jobs there
> are in Ada? Two possible conclusions: 1) There just aren't many jobs in Ada.

That is certainly not the case.  Employers and agencies advertise for
Ada people regularly on commercial web sites.

> 2) There are many jobs in Ada, but nobody posts them to the AdaIC site.

Someone charged with finding employees is likely a generalist across
at least multiple computer disciplines -- they will use the channels
to which they are accustomed.

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-08  3:10           ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-06-08  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote [referring to the AdaIC Job Bank]:

> I took a look there just now and there were all of 7 jobs posted there this
> year. The most recent was almost two months ago. Is that all the jobs there
> are in Ada? Two possible conclusions: 1) There just aren't many jobs in Ada.
> 2) There are many jobs in Ada, but nobody posts them to the AdaIC site.
> Probably the truth is somewhere between the two. :-)

There are many Ada positions listed on Dice and Monster that do not
appear there, nor in the SIGAda/ARA Jobs database.

--
Jeff Carter
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-10 23:36           ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2002-06-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote in message ...
>I took a look there just now and there were all of 7 jobs posted there
this
>year. The most recent was almost two months ago. Is that all the jobs
there
>are in Ada? Two possible conclusions: 1) There just aren't many jobs in
Ada.
>2) There are many jobs in Ada, but nobody posts them to the AdaIC site.
>Probably the truth is somewhere between the two. :-)

As the person who actually posts the jobs on the AdaIC, I can say that I
would be happy if there were more postings. So please send your job
openings to joblistings@adaic.com.

One thing that we're doing now is checking over the postings, so there
are a lot fewer than before -- postings for "Home Typists", "You too can
be a model", and "Adabas technican wanted" are now suppressed. But the
absolute number of postings dropped dramatically in September; I don't
think there are many jobs (of any sort) right now.

                     Randy.

* Re: Ada job-hunting sites
@ 2002-06-11 12:58             ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-06-11 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

The job market in general is a little tight right now. No doubt about that.
It would be nice to see Ada jobs collected there at the AdaIC so there was a
good spot to look for them. However, its a bit much to expect that all the
headhunters with jobs to fill in Ada are going to know about the AdaIC and
the job postings there. It would be helpful, but it just isn't likely to
happen.

Probably a better idea would be to get people who are actively working on
commercial projects in Ada to offer up a brief description of their projects
and provide a link to the companies doing them. That way, those interested
in Ada jobs would at least be able to know what companies they should send
their resumes to. It wouldn't hurt as far as providing "Ada Success Stories"
as well.

MDC
--

@ 2002-06-12 19:33               ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2002-06-12 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote in message ...
>Probably a better idea would be to get people who are actively working
on
>commercial projects in Ada to offer up a brief description of their
projects
>and provide a link to the companies doing them. That way, those
interested
>in Ada jobs would at least be able to know what companies they should
send
>their resumes to. It wouldn't hurt as far as providing "Ada Success
Stories"
>as well.

We post such things on the "recruiters" page. It's not just for
traditional recruiters. Quite a few companies with large Ada projects
are listed, and we certainly would welcome more. See

   http://www.adaic.org/jobs/recruit.html

   Randy Brukardt
   Adaic - Technical Webmaster