From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft .Net, Ada should be at the head of this list
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:03:56 -0400
Date: 2002-06-05T13:03:57+00:00	[thread overview]

Why is that exclusive of competing with Microsoft? Last time I checked,
things like Linux compete with Microsoft. Gnat is a product that competes
(to some extent, at least) against MSVC++, doesn't it? Just because a
product is Open Source, doesn't mean it isn't a product that competes
against Microsoft - or that it can't be sold for profit.

And its also fair to note at this juncture that while there is a reasonable
amount of complaining here about lack of jobs in Ada, has it occurred to
anyone that unless there is some entrepreneurial spirit that starts up
businesses to produce products that use Ada in their design & production,
there will *never* be any Ada jobs out there? At the moment, the guys who
are dreaming up the latest & greatest computer whozits & finding ways of
producing those things for profit, tend to think in terms of Java and C++.
Hence, you see thousands of small to medium sized companies all around the
country looking for Java and C++ programmers. Nobody is going to take their
existing products and convert them to Ada just because we think that's
cool - *new* things have to be started in Ada and that isn't going to happen
unless some Ada-philes dream up products to take to market.

But I suppose we can all be intellectually opposed to finding a way of
making anything with Ada that will generate a profit and then paradoxically
sit around here complaining about the lack of Ada jobs. Its not very
constructive, but at least its amusing. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer