From: adaworks@netcom.com (AdaWorks)
Subject: Re: Is COTS the answer?
Date: 1996/03/25
Date: 1996-03-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison (dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com) wrote:

: Now you tell me, what are the odds that in 15 years when this thing
: breaks the Navy will be able to go out and buy a new shock-resistant
: 486DX PC and get a new copy of Windows NT 3.51 from Microsoft, etc?

  Of equal importance.

  Commercial software is one of the few products that includes
  a fine-print disclaimer on every copy.  It is somewhat like buying
  a used-car, "As-Is."

  The disclaimer usually says something to the effect,

      "This software might do what you expect it to do but
       if it doesn't we, the software publisher, cannot be
       held liable.  Also, we abandon all repsonsbility for this
       product it does any damage to you, your business, your
       clients, or anything or anyone else.."

  On the other hand, the software publisher does give you a full
  warranty on the quality of the media on which they distribute
  their product.

  When you buy a COTS product, you do not buy the product. Rather,
  you purchase a license to use the product.

  When you license a COTS software product, it is restricted to the
  platform indicated on the license.

  I know of no COTS software that is suitable for "safety-sensitive"
  applications.  This includes a lot of operating systems.

  Richard Riehle
--

richard@adaworks.com
AdaWorks Software Engineering