From: brian catlin <brian.catlin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ada, MILS, and Kernels?
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 19:47:19 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2013-01-05T19:47:19-08:00	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, 1 January 2013 20:37:23 UTC-10, Diogenes  wrote:
> Recently I've had a good bit of success with getting gnat-gcc to cross > The other half of my research has been in Mainframe OSes. Specifically VMS and VME. Unfortunately, except for a couple small projects that seem to be dying slowly, there isn't much source code available as far as the internals for these OS's. Obviously that's because they're proprietary; and I can't really blame HP or Fujitsu for holding those cards close to their chest.

Really? Check out the OpenVMS Internals and Data Structures books. Also the 6th edition of the Windows Internals books contain very detailed information (full disclosure: I wrote many of the updates). You'll notice that the two operating systems are very, very similar because they were architected by the same person (Dave Cutler).

If I were you, I'd first focus on creating a portable Ada Run Time environment (exceptions!), then add operating system layers on top of that.

 -Brian