From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: ARG asks Ada Community for API Proposals.
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:34:37 -0400
Date: 2002-05-28T14:34:40+00:00	[thread overview]

But the easy answer to that is to have a separate library "standardization"
process that can turn around changes quickly and maintain multiple versions
or levels of standard. The example of default generic parameters is a good
one. At present it doesn't exist so "Containers Standard Level 1" provides
an interface wherein you have to supply more parameters or live with
limitations. If the language comes up with a revision that makes other
things possible, then you come out with a "Containers Standard Level 2" that
exploits it. A vendor can say "I'm Level 1 Compliant" and need never move
from there. They can add Level 2 any time they like. As long as the
libraries can be revised quickly to incorporate new technology or to extend
into new areas, we wouldn't have to worry about much slower language
revisions. Stability is nice, but 100% stability is "stagnation" and
libraries are *far* easier to update than are compilers.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer