From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Digital MoBoard in Ada
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:41:10 -0400
Date: 2002-05-13T13:41:11+00:00	[thread overview]

There are often restrictions that don't really have anything to do with
security. More like contractural things or other monetary issues.

The "should be available to everyone." part I think kind of implies a
misunderstanding of property rights. Just because I own extremely useful
software that you might want, doesn't exactly mean you have any right to
gain access to it. Any organization might build software that for all sorts
of reasons they don't want circulating out-of-house and while we may see it
and want it, that doesn't mean they ought to give it up.

OTOH, if it doesn't involve any classified research, then it ought to be
duplicatable by an interested party. So I could imagine someone saying "Here
someone created a useful product for internal consumption. I can do the same
thing - maybe even better - and make mine more generally available (for sale
or freeware or any other scheme you like.)" So maybe here's an idea for a
spiffy Open Source project? Or a product for sale to boaters for $29.95 in
the jewel box edition? :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic