* Re: Recommended books to learn Java
       [not found]   ` <nospam-9BC4EA.12592401102012@news.aioe.org>
@ 2012-10-02  0:45     ` Arne Vajhøj
From: Arne Vajhøj @ 2012-10-02  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/1/2012 12:59 PM, John B. Matthews wrote:
> In article <fa9ced0b-debb-4f8a-80af-da23094bc39d@googlegroups.com>,
>   Dan Kalish <kaliuzhkin@verizon.net> wrote:
>> When I learned Pascal, I only had one book, the official version.
>> [...]
>> SNOBOL is fun.  Did you know the Library of Congress uses SNOBOL?  At
>> least they did in around 1998.
>
> You may also want to look at Ada, which descends in part from Pascal.
> GNAT, a popular reference implementation, includes a (non-Ada-standard)
> SPITBOL extensions library:

And actually GNAT has a flavor JGNAT that outputs Java
byte code for the JVM.

I don't think it ever was popular though.

Arne

* Re: Recommended books to learn Java
@ 2013-02-15 15:55       ` Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2013-02-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, October 1, 2012 7:45:23 PM UTC-5, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 10/1/2012 12:59 PM, John B. Matthews wrote:
>
> > In article <fa9ced0b-debb-4f8a-80af-da23094bc39d@googlegroups.com>,
>
> >   Dan Kalish wrote:
>
> >> When I learned Pascal, I only had one book, the official version.
>
> >> [...]
>
> >> SNOBOL is fun.  Did you know the Library of Congress uses SNOBOL?  At
>
> >> least they did in around 1998.
>

> > You may also want to look at Ada, which descends in part from Pascal.
>
> > GNAT, a popular reference implementation, includes a (non-Ada-standard)
>
> > SPITBOL extensions library:
>

> And actually GNAT has a flavor JGNAT that outputs Java
>
> byte code for the JVM.
>

> I don't think it ever was popular though.
>

> Arne

Yes, I once wrote an assembler in SPITBOL -- lots of fun.

The descendent of SNOBOL4 and SPITBOL (compiled version of SNOBOL4) is/was the language Icon.  It was developed by a team at the University of Arizona (Tucson, I believe) led by Ralph Griswold, one of the original developers of SNOBOL4.

Whereas with SNOBOL4's pattern matching really was a separate component within the language, pattern matching within Icon is integrated within the basic expression syntax, so that any expression has the potential of producing zero or more results.

        -- Eryndlia