* make on windows
@ 2009-04-18  9:36 Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am now into installing and perhaps using Gautier's dde things and
need also bindings to win32. After searching a bit, I found that
perhaps GNATCOM and GWindows are going to be useful. I downloaded both
and started to follow instructions in GWindows User Guide, but got
reminded that I do not have a useful make on my box. Searching the web
did not help. Any ideas?

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18  9:53 ` Per Sandberg
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Per Sandberg @ 2009-04-18  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well i am using cygwin make and that works fine even the magic
./configure
make
make install
usually works

Petter wrote:
> I am now into installing and perhaps using Gautier's dde things and
> need also bindings to win32. After searching a bit, I found that
> perhaps GNATCOM and GWindows are going to be useful. I downloaded both
> and started to follow instructions in GWindows User Guide, but got
> reminded that I do not have a useful make on my box. Searching the web
> did not help. Any ideas?

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 10:30 ` Ivan Levashew
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-04-18 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:
> I am now into installing and perhaps using Gautier's dde things and
> need also bindings to win32. After searching a bit, I found that
> perhaps GNATCOM and GWindows are going to be useful. I downloaded both
> and started to follow instructions in GWindows User Guide, but got
> reminded that I do not have a useful make on my box. Searching the web
> did not help. Any ideas?

AdaCore provides make.exe (on the libre site, in the tools section)

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 10:40   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I only see florist there.

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 12:14 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-04-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:
> I am now into installing and perhaps using Gautier's dde things and
> need also bindings to win32. After searching a bit, I found that
> perhaps GNATCOM and GWindows are going to be useful. I downloaded both
> and started to follow instructions in GWindows User Guide, but got
> reminded that I do not have a useful make on my box. Searching the web
> did not help. Any ideas?

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 12:54   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, George. I got a little further, but need to update the
makefile, since compilation will stop on warning:

C:\Users\Petter\ada\gnatcom-1.4a\gnatcom>install
Installing GNATCOM.....
make -C bindings
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/Petter/ada/gnatcom-1.4a/gnatcom/
bindings'
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gnatcom
gcc -c -gnatg -gnatq gnatcom.adb
gcc -c -gnatg -gnatq gnatcom-initialize.adb
gcc -c -gnatg -gnatq gnatcom-types.adb
gnatcom-types.adb:52:07: warning: "WC_Array" is not modified, could be
declared
constant
gnatmake: "gnatcom-types.adb" compilation error
make[1]: *** [gnatcom] Error 4
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Petter/ada/gnatcom-1.4a/gnatcom/
bindings'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Install Completed

I cannot see where the -gnatg is coming from. Trying to update
Gnatcom.Types'body just hits the next similar problem.

Life is so much easier with well structured project files.

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 13:11     ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now I see it, directory bindings has it's own makefile.

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 13:32       ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hehe, this will take some time. GNATCOM has a child named Interface
which is unfortunatly a reserved word in 2005.

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-18 14:26         ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2009-04-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got a little further, but it seems like GNATCOM.Dispinterface'body
is seriously broken. There is a procedure Attach that in turn calls
another procedure Attach that is not found. There is another procedure
Attach that calls the fist one.

Where are faults reported and how? Is there any SF for Dummies?

* Re: make on windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-18 18:49 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2009-04-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter a �crit :
> I am now into installing and perhaps using Gautier's dde things and
> need also bindings to win32. After searching a bit, I found that
> perhaps GNATCOM and GWindows are going to be useful. I downloaded both
> and started to follow instructions in GWindows User Guide, but got
> reminded that I do not have a useful make on my box. Searching the web
> did not help. Any ideas?

The last GNATCOM and GWindows releases date from ~end 2004 and the
install process need much work (no more gnatreg, new gnat warnings that
break compilation in the mode warning -> error, etc.). If you want a
pre-built version of GWindows in ANSI character mode with some fixes,
you should find what you need in the ./windows_stuff when you download
the GWenerator archive from the GNAVI project site on SourceForge. On
the other hand David Botton (the author of GNATCOM and GWindows) is back
in the Ada universe and working on that issue. You may want to subscribe
to the gnavi-discuss mailing list.
HTH
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://sf.net/users/gdemont/

* Re: make on windows
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-18 21:57 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2009-04-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter <petter_fryklund@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am now into installing and perhaps using Gautier's dde things and
> need also bindings to win32. After searching a bit, I found that
> perhaps GNATCOM and GWindows are going to be useful. I downloaded both
> and started to follow instructions in GWindows User Guide, but got
> reminded that I do not have a useful make on my box. Searching the web
> did not help. Any ideas?

I suggest you install cygwin.  It has all manner of unix-y stuff for
windows, including gnu make.

Since disk space is so cheap these days, I install ALL of cygwin on my
windows machines, even though I use only a small part of it.  Then when
somebody says, "you should use the somethingorother program", I type
"which somethingorother", and sure enough, it's already there (often).

- Bob

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-19  1:49     ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-04-19  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:

> I only see florist there.

Then choose an "x86-windows" target

--

@ 2009-04-24 14:12         ` Tim Rowe
From: Tim Rowe @ 2009-04-24 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petter wrote:
> Hehe, this will take some time. GNATCOM has a child named Interface
> which is unfortunatly a reserved word in 2005.
There are other problems, too. Even when I force Ada95 compilation I get
errors. I've discussed this on the GNAVI mailing list, and it appears to
be in hand but there's no timescale for resolution. Although somebody
has pointed me to precompiled binaries, they also reported that they'd
not had much success getting them to work. So for the moment it seems
that GNATCOM is not a viable option for anybody who doesn't already have it.

I too could do with access to COM from Ada -- is there any viable (free)
alternative to GNATCOM?

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-24 15:54           ` Andre
From: Andre @ 2009-04-24 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

The basic GNATCOM package and BindCOM are updated in sourceforge now.
There are also project files added to compile them.

With BindCOM you can easily extract a binding form a COM object (exe,
dll, typelib).

Success,
Andr�

Tim Rowe wrote:
> Petter wrote:
>> Hehe, this will take some time. GNATCOM has a child named Interface
>> which is unfortunatly a reserved word in 2005.
> There are other problems, too. Even when I force Ada95 compilation I get
> errors. I've discussed this on the GNAVI mailing list, and it appears to
> be in hand but there's no timescale for resolution. Although somebody
> has pointed me to precompiled binaries, they also reported that they'd
> not had much success getting them to work. So for the moment it seems
> that GNATCOM is not a viable option for anybody who doesn't already have
> it.
>
> I too could do with access to COM from Ada -- is there any viable (free)
> alternative to GNATCOM?

* Re: make on windows
@ 2009-04-27 10:10             ` Tim Rowe
From: Tim Rowe @ 2009-04-27 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andre wrote:
> The basic GNATCOM package and BindCOM are updated in sourceforge now.
> There are also project files added to compile them.

Excellent, thanks.