* ANN: Paraffin 2.4
@ 2012-02-11 18:17 Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2012-02-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paraffin is a set of Ada 2005 generics that may be used to add
parallelism to iterative loops and recursive code.

Paraffin also includes a suit of useful parallel utilities that
utilize the Paraffin generics. These include generics for;
    1) generic to integrating a function in parallel
    2) generic to apply quicksort algorithm in parallel to an array
    3) generic to apply fast fourier transform to an array of data.
    4) generic Red-Black tree container that performs some operations
       in parallel.
    5) function to solve matrices using Gauss-Jordan Elimination

Paraffin 2.4 modifications include:

-  Added a reusable utility to solve a matrix of linear equations using
    Gauss-Jordan Elimination.
-  Added test_matrix test driver for parallel/sequential matrix solvers
-  Red-Black Tree containers fully implemented now.
      (Delete, and Contains calls work)
-  Split Red-Black Tree container into separate generics
    - Sequential
    - Work sharing
    - Work Seeking
    - Stack Safe Work Seeking
-  The Red Black Tree generic was previously intended mostly as a
    test driver for Paraffin Recursive generics. Now the generic has
    been completed to a state where it can be reused on its own as
    as generic container.
-  Changed use of Unchecked_Conversion for Recurse supprogram access
    to use 'Unrestricted_Access instead. This cleaned the code up
    considerably in this area. One issue to look into, is that
    'Unrestricted_Access is a non-standard attribute. It is supported
    by both GNAT and the ICC compiler however. It may not be supported
    by other Ada 2005 compilers. Unfortunately, Unchecked_Conversion in
    this case is not portable either, and may not even continue to work
    with the existing compilers, so it was thought that using
    'Unrestricted_Access was the best option for now. Will investigate
    to see if there is a possibility for a better solution, or providing
    a portable mechanism in a future version of Ada.

* Re: ANN: Paraffin 2.4
@ 2012-02-12 18:26 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2012-02-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 11, 10:17 am, Brad Moore <brad.mo...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Paraffin is a set of Ada 2005 generics that may be used to add
> parallelism to iterative loops and recursive code.
>
> Paraffin also includes a suit of useful parallel utilities that
> utilize the Paraffin generics. These include generics for;
>     1) generic to integrating a function in parallel
>     2) generic to apply quicksort algorithm in parallel to an array
>     3) generic to apply fast fourier transform to an array of data.
>     4) generic Red-Black tree container that performs some operations
>        in parallel.
>     5) function to solve matrices using Gauss-Jordan Elimination
>
> Paraffin 2.4 modifications include:
>
> -  Added a reusable utility to solve a matrix of linear equations using
>     Gauss-Jordan Elimination.
> -  Added test_matrix test driver for parallel/sequential matrix solvers
> -  Red-Black Tree containers fully implemented now.
>       (Delete, and Contains calls work)
> -  Split Red-Black Tree container into separate generics
>     - Sequential
>     - Work sharing
>     - Work Seeking
>     - Stack Safe Work Seeking
> -  The Red Black Tree generic was previously intended mostly as a
>     test driver for Paraffin Recursive generics. Now the generic has
>     been completed to a state where it can be reused on its own as
>     as generic container.
> -  Changed use of Unchecked_Conversion for Recurse supprogram access
>     to use 'Unrestricted_Access instead. This cleaned the code up
>     considerably in this area. One issue to look into, is that
>     'Unrestricted_Access is a non-standard attribute. It is supported
>     by both GNAT and the ICC compiler however. It may not be supported
>     by other Ada 2005 compilers. Unfortunately, Unchecked_Conversion in
>     this case is not portable either, and may not even continue to work
>     with the existing compilers, so it was thought that using
>     'Unrestricted_Access was the best option for now. Will investigate
>     to see if there is a possibility for a better solution, or providing
>     a portable mechanism in a future version of Ada.

Thank you for sharing your work. Could you add the link to this work?
Thanks.

A. Vo

* Re: ANN: Paraffin 2.4
@ 2012-02-12 18:48   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-02-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:26:03 +0100, Anh Vo <anhvofrcaus@gmail.com> a écrit:
> Thank you for sharing your work. Could you add the link to this work?
> Thanks.
>
> A. Vo

He was so much happy he forget it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/paraffin/

* Re: ANN: Paraffin 2.4
@ 2012-02-13  5:55     ` Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2012-02-13  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/02/2012 11:48 AM, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:
> Le Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:26:03 +0100, Anh Vo <anhvofrcaus@gmail.com> a écrit:
>> Thank you for sharing your work. Could you add the link to this work?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> A. Vo
>
> He was so much happy he forget it:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/paraffin/

Thanks for providing the link, Yannick.
I had this nagging feeling that I forgot to mention something...