From: Dmitry A.Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Are rendezvous dead?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:55:31 +0200
Date: 2002-04-14T12:55:31+02:00	[thread overview]

Anatoly Chernyshev wrote:

> Hello, everybody,
>
> I remember, a long time ago I did read a paper entitled like "Rendezvous
> are dead. Long live protected object" where it was stated that protected
> types are much more convenient for communication between tasks than
> rendezvous. And also the rationale dwells mostly upon these types, not
> rendezvous.

Rendezvous and protected objects are orthogonal views on synchronization:
procedural and OO-ish, if you want. None can supersede another.

> The question is: are there any practical instances (in Ada 95) when use
> of rendezvous is more advantageous than of protected types? In other
> words, is it worhty of trying to write the code using only protected
> types and completely ignoring rendezvous as possible solution (like the
> GOTO operator)?

If you try to do it for a system of a real size and complexity, you will
probably end with a kind of obscure emulation of rendezvous using protected
objects.

Issues to consider are: blocking, parameter passing at
synchronization points, extensibility, layered protocols.

--
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov