* Ada's future ? (newbie)
@ 2002-04-08 11:35 Holger Zwar
From: Holger Zwar @ 2002-04-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
first, i don't want to start a discussion like 'which is the best
language' - i think there are a lot of possible and right answers. I've read
a lot about Ada95 and i think it might be a good choice for a new project
(DSP Audio) compared to C++, which i know very well. But i don't want to
learn and use a 'dead' language which has no future (I've read that there's
no standarisation anymore).
Thanks for reading
Holger

* Re: Ada's future ? (newbie)
@ 2002-04-08 13:24 ` Jim Rogers
From: Jim Rogers @ 2002-04-08 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

To paraphrase Mark Twain "The news of Ada's death has been
greatly exaggerated."

Ada does have an active standard. The most recent standard is dated
1995. Ada also has something C++ still struggles for: compilers
that implement the entire standard.

Ada's useage is reportedly growing slightly, which does not support
the concept of a 'dead' language.

I find Ada to be a fun language to work in.

Jim Rogers

Holger Zwar wrote:

> Hi,
> first, i don't want to start a discussion like 'which is the best
> language' - i think there are a lot of possible and right answers. I've read
> a lot about Ada95 and i think it might be a good choice for a new project
> (DSP Audio) compared to C++, which i know very well. But i don't want to
> learn and use a 'dead' language which has no future (I've read that there's
> no standarisation anymore).
> Thanks for reading
> Holger

* Re: Ada's future ? (newbie)
@ 2002-04-08 16:30 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-04-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Holger Zwar <h.zwar_seeburger@aon.at> wrote:
:  I've read
: a lot about Ada95 and i think it might be a good choice for a new project
: (DSP Audio) compared to C++, which i know very well. But i don't want to
: learn and use a 'dead' language which has no future (I've read that there's
: no standarisation anymore).

Where have you read this? It might need correction :-)

try:
http://www.ada-auth.org
http://www.adaic.org
http://www.adapower.com