* AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-03-30  7:23 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2002-03-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi - just some news about latest release of AdaGIDE.

* Main improvements in AdaGIDE 6.52 compared to version 6.43.1

    User definable colours and colour schemes
    Parenthesis matching
    Auto reformat on enter (can be disabled in Tools/Options)
    Jumps to first error
    Navigation among errors and warnings
    Better working "Goto declaration" (Ctrl-G) XRef function

See sources and "About" box for contributions and contributors.
Enjoy!

* Main improvements in AdaGIDE 6.43.1 compared to version 6.26
which comes with GNAT 3.13p:

    Spell-checker
    Automatic suggestion of filename on save
    Support for multiple debuggers
    Drag-and-drop for files
    Updated options dialog

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-03-30 13:38 ` Sergey Koshcheyev
From: Sergey Koshcheyev @ 2002-03-30 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

First, the custom-color code in AdaGIDE leaks GDI brushes - they are created
but never destroyed. Due to this, after doing several builds, redrawing
problems appear (the brushes are leaked in the error box redrawing code).

Second, in the past few days I've did a complete AdaGIDE GUI redesign as my
own private project. It now uses common controls (tool bar and status bar)
instead of the "home-made" AdaGIDE controls. And Scintilla source editor
widget (used in SciTE) is used instead of the rich edit control. The AdaGIDE
looks in my opinion much better now.

However, I had to take out some features. Customizable color schemes will
not work, and some minor things like customizing whether tooltips should
appear don't work, for example.

I'd like to know whether somebody is interested in it and whether I should
make my work publicly available (if so, how?).

Sergey Koshcheyev.

@ 2002-03-30 20:34   ` Ingo Marks
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-03-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergey Koshcheyev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First, the custom-color code in AdaGIDE leaks GDI brushes - they are
> created but never destroyed. Due to this, after doing several builds,
> redrawing problems appear (the brushes are leaked in the error box
> redrawing code).
>
> Second, in the past few days I've did a complete AdaGIDE GUI redesign as
> my own private project. It now uses common controls (tool bar and status
> bar) instead of the "home-made" AdaGIDE controls. And Scintilla source
> editor widget (used in SciTE) is used instead of the rich edit control.
> The AdaGIDE looks in my opinion much better now.
>
> However, I had to take out some features. Customizable color schemes will
> not work, and some minor things like customizing whether tooltips should
> appear don't work, for example.
>
> I'd like to know whether somebody is interested in it and whether I should
> make my work publicly available (if so, how?).
>
> Sergey Koshcheyev.

Your work is really interesting! Is your AdaGIDE version Windows only or
could I compile it for Linux, too? AFAIK SciTE is usable in Linux.

If you plan to extend your AdaGIDE, and if you are interested in
suggestions, then I would like to suggest: A GNAT library source browser
would be a fine thing ...

Ingo

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-03-31  3:24   ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 2002-03-31  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would suggest sending an email to Martin Carlisle:
  carlislem@acm.org
Perhaps your changes may be reviewed and entered into AdaGIDE.

SteveD

@ 2002-03-31 15:08     ` Sergey Koshcheyev
From: Sergey Koshcheyev @ 2002-03-31 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ingo Marks" <adv@region-nord.de> wrote in message
> Your work is really interesting! Is your AdaGIDE version Windows only or
> could I compile it for Linux, too? AFAIK SciTE is usable in Linux.

No, it is Windows-only, since it uses Windows API extensively. I don't think
it would be possible to port it to Linux without doing a more or less
complete rewrite.

> If you plan to extend your AdaGIDE, and if you are interested in
> suggestions, then I would like to suggest: A GNAT library source browser
> would be a fine thing ...

Thanks for the idea. I don't know when, if at all, I will actually get up to
the point of adding features, though.

Sergey.

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-03-31 15:13     ` Sergey Koshcheyev
From: Sergey Koshcheyev @ 2002-03-31 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve Doiel" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> wrote in message
> I would suggest sending an email to Martin Carlisle:
>   carlislem@acm.org
> Perhaps your changes may be reviewed and entered into AdaGIDE.
>
> SteveD

I thought about it too, but I have made much more changes than was strictly
necessary and removed several features in the process, so I don't think it
is worth attempting to merge changes now.

I have decided that I will not yet put my changes on a website, since I
don't actually feel their present state is good enough, but I can e-mail the
modified sources to anybody interested.

Sergey.

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-03-31 16:01     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2002-03-31 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you plan to extend your AdaGIDE, and if you are interested in
> suggestions, then I would like to suggest: A GNAT library source browser
> would be a fine thing ...

Right.
While we are on this topic:
- I wish I had time to help, but seeing as I don't, let me just say that
building better beginner's oriented IDEs is highly important. Many students
of mine (for example) shy away from Ada because AdaGIDE (which I really
like) doesn't look like Visual Studio.

- I'd be very interested in better COM support integration. By this I mean
something like what you find in PythonWin. (the IDE determines which COM
interfaces are available on your machine, and knows how to invoke a binding
creation utility).

Ehud Lamm

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-04-01 11:43 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2002-04-01 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Lamm:

>While we are on this topic:
>- I wish I had time to help, but seeing as I don't, let me just
>say that building better beginner's oriented IDEs is highly
>important. Many students of mine (for example) shy away from Ada
>because AdaGIDE (which I really like) doesn't look like Visual Studio.

I would be prudent if you associate "beginner's oriented" and
"looking like Visual Studio". The possibility of unzipping
a mix of sources, object files, dlls and data, opening an Ada
procedure, click "Build", click "Run" is (maybe) a plus of
AdaGIDE, difficult to beat (especially if you introduce project
files with hardcoded pathes, names etc.).
You also can test a piece of code appearing in this newsgroup
without even touching the keyboard.
For user-friendliness I'd rather look on the Borland side (Delphi).

For the ressemblance with Visual Studio maybe ObjectAda would be
a better fit ?

>- I'd be very interested in better COM support integration. By this I
>mean something like what you find in PythonWin. (the IDE determines
>which COM interfaces are available on your machine, and knows how to
>invoke a binding creation utility).

If it doesn't harm the people NOT using COM, it would really be a plus!

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-04-01 19:03 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2002-04-01 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ehud Lamm:
>
> >While we are on this topic:
> >- I wish I had time to help, but seeing as I don't, let me just
> >say that building better beginner's oriented IDEs is highly
> >important. Many students of mine (for example) shy away from Ada
> >because AdaGIDE (which I really like) doesn't look like Visual Studio.
>
> I would be prudent if you associate "beginner's oriented" and
> "looking like Visual Studio". The possibility of unzipping
> a mix of sources, object files, dlls and data, opening an Ada
> procedure, click "Build", click "Run" is (maybe) a plus of
> AdaGIDE, difficult to beat (especially if you introduce project
> files with hardcoded pathes, names etc.).
> You also can test a piece of code appearing in this newsgroup
> without even touching the keyboard.
> For user-friendliness I'd rather look on the Borland side (Delphi).

I was simply reporting my experience. I can offer an explanation, though.
Beginners are less experienced in moving between different IDEs. I guess
they don't have the correct cognitive categories (they think "Now press F5"
instead of "Now build"). So if they are used to Microsoft IDEs (beacuse
their first courses used VS or something similar), transition is difficult.
Note that for my taste AdaGIDE is better for beginners. It is they that
claim otherwise...

> For the ressemblance with Visual Studio maybe ObjectAda would be
> a better fit ?

Indeed many prefer ObjectAda after seeing it.

Ehud

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-04-02  1:45       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-04-02  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Lamm <mslamm@huji.ac.il> wrote:

:  let me just say that
: building better beginner's oriented IDEs is highly important.

Are they beginning to write programs? In this case I know of
some good experience letting them use a notepad-like editor and a
command line compiler for a start.

- georg

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-04-02 15:31         ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2002-04-02 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
> Ehud Lamm <mslamm@huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
> :  let me just say that
> : building better beginner's oriented IDEs is highly important.
>
> Are they beginning to write programs? In this case I know of
> some good experience letting them use a notepad-like editor and a
> command line compiler for a start.

I have more experience with students with a little programming experience.
Let's say something like 2nd year students. They usually know C or Pascal,
but never wrote complicated software.

Ehud

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.52 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 9x/NT/...)
@ 2002-04-03  0:00           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: I have more experience with students with a little programming experience.
: Let's say something like 2nd year students. They usually know C or Pascal,
: but never wrote complicated software.

ah, well. If only Emacs/ada-mode had a different MDI :-)
(and preset CUA-mode)

- georg