From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Another problem with stream reading.
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:21:52 -0500
Date: 2002-03-28T15:21:52+00:00	[thread overview]

Unsigned integers for Ada0y might be interesting, but I'm not sure what you
would do with them that you can't already do with modular types. If you need
a 32 bit unsigned that doesn't have the base type problem, you can get that
with a modular type. Is it that one might want overflow & underflow rather
than wraparound semantics? If that's the case, I'd think it would be nice to
have numeric types that saturate as well.

One of Ada's strengths is that it can describe in detail the exact needs of
a given data type. Perhaps adding unsigned integers (and math types that
saturate) would add to that strength. Arguing that you can get there from
here by just doing blah blah blah is interesting, but not necessarily
compelling. Its always nice to have direct language support for a feature
that is likely to see a lot of use.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic