* Re: Real Time Systems with Ada
@ 2002-03-26 19:53 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-03-26 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are on-line texts about Ada available through:
http://www.adapower.com/ under "Learn Ada" (Probably ought to appear under
"Books" as well...) However, none of them specifically deal with real time &
embedded systems. You can find some books that talk about Ada & real time,
but I don't think there are any currently on-line. Ada ought to be more used
in that market, but its pretty much ignored there, so you aren't likely to
see much appearing any time soon on that subject.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Hans-Olof Danielsson" <Hans-Olof.Danielsson@swipnet.se> wrote in message
> [...]
Ada

       [not found] <005a01c1d4fc$2e606180$416297d4@d1>
@ 2002-03-27 17:24 ` Hans-Olof Danielsson
From: Hans-Olof Danielsson @ 2002-03-27 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Korochkin Alexandr" wrote:

> Is it  available an electronical version of
>Real Time Systems books with Ada?

I think it would be good for Ada to have
such a book online. Many young people
should presumably appreciate it and
make them more curious about Ada.
The question is what a book should contain?

Now when MaRTE OS
http://marte.unican.es/
and ORK
http://www.openravenscar.org/
is available with the PC (i386) as a
target, they could be good resources to use
in combination with an online book
on Real Time Systems Ada programming.
What do you think?

Bets Regards / Hans-Olof

* Re: Real Time Systems with Ada
@ 2002-03-27 17:56   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-03-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think it would be good for Ada to have
> such a book online. Many young people
> should presumably appreciate it and
> make them more curious about Ada.
> The question is what a book should contain?

Look at similar books that discuss realtime programming in other languages.
That might suggest an outline for an Ada book.

> Now when MaRTE OS
> http://marte.unican.es/
> and ORK
> http://www.openravenscar.org/
> is available with the PC (i386) as a
> target, they could be good resources to use
> in combination with an online book
> on Real Time Systems Ada programming.
> What do you think?

I thought MaRTE OS was available already. It might make a good platform for
a RT programming book - I didn't know that it needed anything else besides a
bare PC, a Linux PC and an Ethernet connection. Wouldn't that be enough for
a text on RT programming?

MDC
--

@ 2002-03-28  5:48   ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-03-28  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Books by Burns and Wellings come pretty close.

Check out;

               Concurrency in Ada

               Programming Systems and Languages

both of which are excellent books.

Richard Riehle

@ 2002-03-28 15:59     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-03-28 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's probably a number of books that address realtime & embedded
programming and how Ada relates to that. There might be a few in the
bibliography at Adapower. I'm just not aware of any that are on-line. It
would be really nice of authors to put their stuff on-line once it has
exhausted whatever commercial potential it had (or gain some additional
commercial potential by including ads in their text? :-) Technical books
don't generally make a lot of money for the authors and once the publisher
is no longer interested it would be nice to see them on-line for the benefit
of the needy and the cheap. :-)

MDC