From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: libraries for Ada (was): periodicity
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:35:37 -0500
Date: 2002-03-19T13:35:39+00:00	[thread overview]

Boy, that sure is an ambitious list! :-)

I agree that some standard libraries would be an excellent addition to Ada
and would serve to make it more attractive. However, I'd make the scope a
little narrower in the hope of actually getting it adopted:

Some version of math libraries - including statistics & matrix/vector math.
(Insert your favorite math needs here, but I'd stick to the branches of math
that are most frequently used first. Stats & Linear A seem to be pretty
popular across the board, but there may be others as well.)

Some version of basic data structures. Could we get the GRACE name settled &
maybe see if a reference implementation can find some level of acceptance?

Some version of a GUI - I'd base it on XML & possibly third-party
interpreters. (I hear there's kind of a standards effort to do this at
http://www.mozilla.org/? Or am I mistaken?)

Shoot for that much & I'll bet we have a substantially better language.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer