* Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-01  2:31 Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2015-02-01  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

So here I am, having written my first working Ada program, and it's
actually pretty useful. Now I want to transfer it to my Linux machine
and compile it there. After running into the obvious problems (directory
name capitalization mismatch and \ changed to / ) I am now faced with
the perplexing message that there are no Ada source files in the project.

I am using the SourceDirs option in GPS where I just give the
directories with the source files. For instance, one gpr file contains
the line

    FOR Source_Dirs USE (".");

which works fine on windows but not in Linux, although I copied the
directory hierarchy 1:1

Are there any tricks I have to be aware of when moving a project to Linux?

Thanks

---

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-01  9:18 ` Dirk Heinrichs
From: Dirk Heinrichs @ 2015-02-01  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert wrote:

> I am now faced with
> the perplexing message that there are no Ada source files in the project.
>
> I am using the SourceDirs option in GPS where I just give the
> directories with the source files. For instance, one gpr file contains
> the line
>
> FOR Source_Dirs USE (".");
>
> which works fine on windows but not in Linux, although I copied the
> directory hierarchy 1:1

What are the names of your files looking like, expecially the suffixes?

Bye...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de>
Tel: +49 (0)2471 209385 | Mobil: +49 (0)176 34473913

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-01 15:21 ` Bob Duff
From: Bob Duff @ 2015-02-01 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert <herrdoktor@fumanchu.com> writes:

> Are there any tricks I have to be aware of when moving a project to
> Linux?

Make sure all your file names are lower case.

- Bob

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-01 16:02   ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2015-02-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might take a look at my pdf document on bringing up GNAT
in Ubuntu Linux.  There are a bunch of seemingly minor details
that can impede progress if you are used to Windows and moving
over to Linux.  The pdf document is in this group's forum on about
Oct. 19, 2014.  The GNAT User Guide is pretty good - but it doesn't
deal with some of the subtleties.  I'm not interested in discussions
about GNAT versus other compilers or Linux distributions.  I think
what's in the pdf can be helpful for understanding what you might
need to do if you make a choice other than GNAT for your work.

Bruce B.

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-02  1:06     ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2015-02-02  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/2015 8:02 AM, brbarkstrom@gmail.com wrote:
> You might take a look at my pdf document on bringing up GNAT
> in Ubuntu Linux.  There are a bunch of seemingly minor details
> that can impede progress if you are used to Windows and moving
> over to Linux.  The pdf document is in this group's forum on about
> Oct. 19, 2014.  The GNAT User Guide is pretty good - but it doesn't
> deal with some of the subtleties.  I'm not interested in discussions
> about GNAT versus other compilers or Linux distributions.  I think
> what's in the pdf can be helpful for understanding what you might
> need to do if you make a choice other than GNAT for your work.
>
> Bruce B.

Where is this forum? I didn't even know there is a forum for this group

---

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-02  1:11   ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2015-02-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/2015 7:21 AM, Bob Duff wrote:
> Hubert <herrdoktor@fumanchu.com> writes:
>
>> Are there any tricks I have to be aware of when moving a project to
>> Linux?
>
> Make sure all your file names are lower case.
>
> - Bob

thanks that did the trick. I made filenames with capital letters as the
first ones to make them more readable. Just one more reason to need a
package browser because now the filenames look even more alike :(

Well, my program compiles fine on Linux now. I want to put in on
sourceforgenet sometime soon, once I have used it a bit in case there
are more bugs.

It is essentially a server application that can be used by any client to
output debug prints to, like the debug window in Visual Studio. GPS does
not have anything like that and just shows the program's stdout in that
little window at the bottom. On top of that you can filter the output
based on channels and threads. the whole thing is based on my previous
experience with debug output and what I needed. I think it's pretty
neat. Alas for now I don't have plugins to debug Ada code, only C code
(since that's what I wrote it for) but it should be easy to add Ada
stubs to go with an Ada program

---

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-02  2:26       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-02  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Where is this forum? I didn't even know there is a forum for this group

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.ada

I assume

David Botton

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-02  3:12         ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2015-02-02  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/2015 18:26 PM, David Botton wrote:
>> Where is this forum? I didn't even know there is a forum for this group
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.ada
>
> I assume
>
> David Botton

Oh ok, thats the google archive for the newsgroup. I thought it was some
sort of real Forum somewhere, but thanks

---

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-02 13:53           ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2015-02-02 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the confusion.  David was correct.

Bruce B.

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-03 20:01 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2015-02-03 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-Jan-15 19:31, Hubert wrote:
> So here I am, having written my first working Ada program, and it's
> actually pretty useful. Now I want to transfer it to my Linux machine
> and compile it there. After running into the obvious problems (directory
> name capitalization mismatch and \ changed to / )

The '/' vs '\' is a non-issue.
Windows has been able to handle '/' separators since at least Win-98.

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-03 22:06   ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2015-02-03 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/3/2015 12:01 PM, Shark8 wrote:
> On 31-Jan-15 19:31, Hubert wrote:
>> So here I am, having written my first working Ada program, and it's
>> actually pretty useful. Now I want to transfer it to my Linux machine
>> and compile it there. After running into the obvious problems (directory
>> name capitalization mismatch and \ changed to / )
>
> The '/' vs '\' is a non-issue.
> Windows has been able to handle '/' separators since at least Win-98.

Well what I meant is that I am using \ but linux doesn't seem to handle
them. But I also had uppercase filenames so I don't know which of these
caused the error

---

* Re: Caveats when switching Ada projects from windows To Linux
@ 2015-02-05 20:14     ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2015-02-05 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > The '/' vs '\' is a non-issue.

as long as you're running in windows.

You have to be careful in Linux, which only deals with `/` .

Note also if you start to look for a file with a name that starts with `/`,
like `/foo`, then the file system will look for a directory `foo' in the
root directory.  If you ask for the file `foo', that's a relative location
and will probably be in the current directory (depending on where you've set
your current directory).

In addition, if you're aiming to use AWS in Windows, you'll be working with
interfaces that use POSIX, which I believe requires the Unix slash convention.

Bruce B.