From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: pragma Convention() Ada2012
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:09:10 +0300
Date: 2012-07-21T23:09:10+03:00	[thread overview]

On 12-07-21 22:16 , wlan.etho0@gmail.com wrote:
> According to the New aspects section of:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Ada_2012#New_aspects
>
> "Convention (pragma now obsolescent)"
>
> I've tried researching it, but you know how hard it is to find good
> information about obscure language features in ada.

Actually I don't... what information have you tried to find?

> I don't fully understand what this means, can someone explain it to
> me?

There is a "pragma Convention" that has been in Ada for some time, I
think since Ada 95,
http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/standards/95lrm/ARM_HTML/RM-B-1.html#I6047.

The "aspect" system was added in Ada 2012, including the Convention
aspect, http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/12rm/html/RM-B-1.html#I7339.

The Convention aspect has the same effect as the Convention pragma, but
it has the advantage that the entity to which the aspect applies is
given by the position of the aspect specification, not by an identifier.
This is better since it is easier both to write and to read and because
it avoids the problem of overloaded names. Therefore the pragma is
considered obsolescent, which simply means that you can still use it,
but that the language designers think that there are better ways (the
aspect) to do it.

Does this answer you question, or is it that you don't understand what
the Convention aspect (or pragma) does?

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd