* ASIS Question: Looking up procedure names.
@ 2005-05-07 20:10 Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2005-05-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi! I'm writing an ASIS program and I've encountered a problem that I'm
having trouble figuring out.

I have an element that I know is a procedure call statement. What I'm
looking for is the full name of the procedure, including package
membership. So for example

with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;

procedure Hello is
begin
  Put_Line("Hello, World");
end Hello;

When looking at the Put_Line procedure call statement, I want to get the
name "Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line." Is this possible?

Starting with the procedure call statement, I can use
Corresponding_Called_Entity to get the procedure declaration. I can then
use Names to get a list of defining names for that declaration (wouldn't
there always be only one such name for procedure declarations?). I can
then convert the first name on this list to program text using
Defining_Name_Image. However, the name returned in this case is just
'Put_Line' and not 'Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line' as desired.

I see in Asis.Declarations the function Defining_Prefix that takes
A_Defining_Expanded_Name and returns the prefix. So that tells me what I
need is a way to get A_Defining_Expanded_Name from my procedure call
statement. This is where I'm stuck.

TIA

Peter

* Re: ASIS Question: Looking up procedure names.
@ 2005-05-09  8:49 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2005-05-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter C. Chapin a �crit :
> Hi! I'm writing an ASIS program and I've encountered a problem that I'm
> having trouble figuring out.
>
> I have an element that I know is a procedure call statement. What I'm
> looking for is the full name of the procedure, including package
> membership.
ASIS provides only *basic* queries, and this one is not part of it.

However, if you download Adasubst or Adacontrol from Adalog's components
page (http://www.adalog.fr/compo2.htm), you'll have a package called
"Thick_Queries" that provide many useful higher-level queries, including
a function called "Full_Name_Image" that does exactly that.

The whole stuff is GMGPL, so you can use it in any context.

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: ASIS Question: Looking up procedure names.
@ 2005-05-09 11:25   ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2005-05-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in

> ASIS provides only *basic* queries, and this one is not part of it.
>
> However, if you download Adasubst or Adacontrol from Adalog's components
> page (http://www.adalog.fr/compo2.htm), you'll have a package called
> "Thick_Queries" that provide many useful higher-level queries, including
> a function called "Full_Name_Image" that does exactly that.

Okay, thanks for the reference. I'll check it out.

@ 2005-05-09 15:18 ` James Alan Farrell
From: James Alan Farrell @ 2005-05-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:10:46 GMT, "Peter C. Chapin"
<pchapin@sover.net> wrote:

Peter,
I'm working on a project that uses ASIS.  Unfortunately I am on
vacation and my notes on this are at work.  I believe that what you
are trying to do can be done.  If you can wait until next week, I can
look at my notes then.

As for the list of procedure names, this comes about because
asis.declarations is used for all declarations, not just procedure
declarations.  Thus

   A, B : integer;

has to be support.  Get the name here, and you will get a list of two
elements.  For subprograms, yes there will always be only one name.
(Renames clauses are handled differently)

James Alan Farrell

@ 2005-05-18 15:14   ` James Alan Farrell
From: James Alan Farrell @ 2005-05-18 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter,
Here is how to get the full name:

First, from call get the entity called

procedure get_called_entity(ProcCall : asis.element)
    CalledEntity : asis.element;
begin
    CalledEntity :=
       asis.statements.corresponding_called_entity(ProcCall);
end;

CalledEntity is a declaration.  To get it's name, use
asis.declarations.names, which returns a list.  To turn that into a wide
string, use asis.declarations.defining_name_image(name_list[0]).

Now to get the package name, you can use asis.elements.enclosing_element
to get the declaration of the package in which the entity is declared.
This also returns a decl (the package decl) and you can use the same
method to get it's name.  Something like:

procedure get_called_entity(ProcCall : asis.element)
    CalledEntity : asis.element;
    PackageDecl  : asis.element;
begin
    -- get the called entity
    CalledEntity :=
        asis.statements.corresponding_called_entity(ProcCall);

    -- get the called entity's package
    PackageDecl := asis.elements.enclosing_element(CalledEntity);

    -- get the package name
    declare
       NameList : asis.element_list :=
            asis.declarations.names(PackageDecl);
       PackageName : program_text :=
            asis.declarations.defining_name_image(NameList[0]);
    begin
       Ada.Text_IO.Put(PackageName);
    end;

    -- we need to put our own dot between the package name and
    -- the entity name
    Ada.Text_IO.Put(".");

    -- get the called entity's name
    declare
       NameList : asis.element_list :=
            asis.declarations.names(CalledEntity);
       ProcName : program_text :=
            asis.declarations.defining_name_image(NameList[0]);
    begin
       Ada.Text_IO.Put(ProcName);
    end;

    Ada.Text_IO.New_Line;

end;

This assumes that the called procedure was declared at the top level of
the package.  You have to verify that by calling
(asis.elements.declaration_kind(PackageDecl) = a_package_declaration) or
(asis.elements.declaration_kind(PackageDecl) =
                                           a_package_body_declaration)

The called proc could be nested inside another proc, in which case the
parent proc's name will be printed.  In addition, procs can be declared
inside block statements (declares) (which, IMHO, is a bit messy and
should be avoided), in which case I'm not sure how the call to
asis.declarations.names(PackageDecl) will react -- it might raise an
innappropriate_element exception.

Good luck and hope this helps,
James

James Alan Farrell wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:10:46 GMT, "Peter C. Chapin"
> <pchapin@sover.net> wrote:
>
> Peter,
> I'm working on a project that uses ASIS.  Unfortunately I am on
> vacation and my notes on this are at work.  I believe that what you
> are trying to do can be done.  If you can wait until next week, I can
> look at my notes then.
>
> As for the list of procedure names, this comes about because
> asis.declarations is used for all declarations, not just procedure
> declarations.  Thus
>
>    A, B : integer;
>
> has to be support.  Get the name here, and you will get a list of two
> elements.  For subprograms, yes there will always be only one name.
> (Renames clauses are handled differently)
>
> James Alan Farrell
>

>>Hi! I'm writing an ASIS program and I've encountered a problem that I'm
>>having trouble figuring out.
>>
>>I have an element that I know is a procedure call statement. What I'm
>>looking for is the full name of the procedure, including package
>>membership. So for example
>>
>>with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;
>>
>>procedure Hello is
>>begin
>> Put_Line("Hello, World");
>>end Hello;
>>
>>When looking at the Put_Line procedure call statement, I want to get the
>>name "Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line." Is this possible?
>>
>>Starting with the procedure call statement, I can use
>>Corresponding_Called_Entity to get the procedure declaration. I can then
>>use Names to get a list of defining names for that declaration (wouldn't
>>there always be only one such name for procedure declarations?). I can
>>then convert the first name on this list to program text using
>>Defining_Name_Image. However, the name returned in this case is just
>>'Put_Line' and not 'Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line' as desired.
>>
>>I see in Asis.Declarations the function Defining_Prefix that takes
>>A_Defining_Expanded_Name and returns the prefix. So that tells me what I
>>need is a way to get A_Defining_Expanded_Name from my procedure call
>>statement. This is where I'm stuck.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Peter

[-- Attachment #2: jfarrell.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:James Alan Farrell
n:Farrell;James
org:GrammaTech
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: ASIS Question: Looking up procedure names.
@ 2005-05-18 16:41     ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2005-05-18 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Alan Farrell a �crit :
> Here is how to get the full name:
>
> First, from call get the entity called
>
> procedure get_called_entity(ProcCall : asis.element)
>    CalledEntity : asis.element;
> begin
>    CalledEntity :=
>       asis.statements.corresponding_called_entity(ProcCall);
> end;
But use Corresponding_Called_Function if it is a function

> CalledEntity is a declaration.  To get it's name, use
> asis.declarations.names, which returns a list.  To turn that into a wide
> string, use asis.declarations.defining_name_image(name_list[0]).
You meant name_list(1), which language are you using :-)

> Now to get the package name, you can use asis.elements.enclosing_element
> to get the declaration of the package in which the entity is declared.
> This also returns a decl (the package decl) and you can use the same
> method to get it's name.
That's much too simplistic. The SP can be declared in a block statement,
or another procedure. If it comes from an instantiation, you'll get
extra levels (the SP declaration is in a (pseudo) package, which is
itself inside the instantiation, etc.

Believe me: use Full_Name_Image (or rewrite it at your convenience), it
is GMGPL. It took me a *lot* of time to get it working in all contexts.
            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: ASIS Question: Looking up procedure names.
@ 2005-05-18 18:08       ` James Alan Farrell
From: James Alan Farrell @ 2005-05-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)