From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: [OT] Gibson's vision of computer languajes
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:46:39 -0500
Date: 2002-03-06T14:46:41+00:00	[thread overview]

Well, I can't hardly argue with that. :-) Seeing the challenge as creating
an artistic thing of beauty negates any of the engineering arguments against
that technique. I used to know an artist back in college who did these very
large paintings that usually consisted of a monochrome background with some
squiggly lines on them of a different color. He'd labor for days/weeks with
oil paint, carefully getting the monochrome background absolutely smooth and
consistent in color & texture. It was really impressive that he could get it
to look just like the shiny paint job on a new car - all by hand & with
relatively primitive equipment.

But Detroit was getting the same appearance (or better) in a fraction of the
time and cost. Would you buy the car that was painted by the artist rather
than the computer-controlled spraying equipment? You might if money was no
object. It might amuse you that you got the same paint job as a Ford
Escort - but all laboriusly done by hand. But that would mean that only a
very small number of people with lots of money could have cars like that.

I won't say it has no value to do software entirely in assembler -
especially if viewed as an artistic endeavor. Its just that people don't buy
software to marvel at how perfectly it squeezes out every last nanosecond of
execution time or every last byte of memory. They buy it to get a job done.
Hence they want a reliable, affordable solution to their problems - not a
work of art.

Code bloat, OTOH, is a different issue. I'll agree that lots of software is
designed inefficiently and includes thousands of features that are
interesting from a marketing perspective, but don't really move the mission
forward. Sometimes I just want to type up some text and a command line
interface & glass-teletype would do the job just as well as a really spiffy
GUI based program that consumed megabytes of my disk drive. But I don't see
that as an Assembler versus HLL issue.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic