* GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-16  1:17 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2008-08-16  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

GPS 4.1.3 (20070913) hosted on pentium-mingw32msv
GNAT GPL 2007 (20070405-41)

All

The above is my GPS environment on a Windows XP laptop.

I downloaded the sources for gtkada today. I tried to build gtk with
the gpr files provided.

testgtk failed to build with the following error :
---------------------
cannot generate code for file view_gl.ads (package spec)
to check package spec for errors, use -gnatc
gnatmake: "c:\documents and settings\r srinivasan\my documents\projects
\tools\gtkada\sources\gtkada-2.10.2\gtkada-2.10.2\testgtk\opengl
\view_gl.ads" compilation error

process exited with status 4
=========================

gdialog failed to build with the following message :

a\sources\GtkAda-2.10.2\GtkAda-2.10.2\src\gtkada-intl.ads"
cannot generate code for file gtkada-intl.ads (package spec)
to check package spec for errors, use -gnatc
gnatmake: "c:\documents and settings\r srinivasan\my documents\projects
\tools\gtkada\sources\gtkada-2.10.2\gtkada-2.10.2\src\gtkada-intl.ads"
compilation error

process exited with status 4

==================

Clearly there is something I am missing. Since I have just started
using GPS (I used to use just command line gnatmake) I am looking for
some advice.

thanks, srini

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-16 10:30 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-08-16 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Srini writes:
> Clearly there is something I am missing. Since I have just started
> using GPS (I used to use just command line gnatmake) I am looking for
> some advice.

Here is my advice:

- read the file INSTALL; you cannot build GtkAda with the gpr files
alone. A preprocessing step is necessary.
- if you still have trouble, send an email to
gtkada@lists.adacore.com. The authors of GtkAda are there.

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-19 18:43   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2008-08-19 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 16, 11:30 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org>
wrote:
> Srini writes:
> > Clearly there is something I am missing. Since I have just started
> > using GPS (I used to use just command line gnatmake) I am looking for
> > some advice.
>
> Here is my advice:
>
> - read the file INSTALL; you cannot build GtkAda with the gpr files
> alone. A preprocessing step is necessary.
> - if you still have trouble, send an email to
> gtk...@lists.adacore.com. The authors of GtkAda are there.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

I have to admit I find the whole "preprocessing" steps really
annoying...

I know there are pre-built GtkAda versions but there aren't for other
libraries (e.g. AWS and XML/Ada or there wasn't the last time I
looked).

I really don't want to load Cygwin or MSYS on my PC (I've had bad
things happen with Cygwin), I just want to use the .ads file +
some .o/.ali files in the same way as the standard library can be
used.

Of course portability is great and that preprocessing can be a better
way of achieving it than other means but couldn't there be simple pre-
built versions for say just Wintel and Linux/x86 - surely that would
cover 95% of users of these "libre" versions?

My $0.02

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-19 20:13     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-08-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin

Martin,

> I really don't want to load Cygwin or MSYS on my PC (I've had bad
> things happen with Cygwin), I just want to use the .ads file +
> some .o/.ali files in the same way as the standard library can be
> used.

Bad things with Cygwin? Well for me it is just an essential tool.
Without it I'm lost when using Windows cmd.exe! Nothing can be done with
this dumb shell! At the same time I running Cygwin/X and mrxvt to get a
decent shell (rezise). I'm also enjoying connecting via ssh, using svn,
cvs, git, bash... I'm even running sshd on my Windows box to connect to
it from other machines. The only complaint I'll have is that Cygwin is a
bit slow, but well worth using it.

I'm using Cygwin since quite some years now. No problem and yes I'm
upgrading Cygwin at least once a week.

Just my 2 cents too :)

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-19 21:32       ` RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2008-08-19 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

FWIW

A pertinent question might be - will the gnat Project support with gpr
files not serve the function. Perhaps ada based distributions should
use that instead of the traditional config etc.

In any case, I found that on Windows for gnat based development, I am
not sure cygwin works that well. for example, the -I and other such
specifications want to interpret the argument using the native
directory separator ie "\" and not the unix like "/"

So if one is used to the command line - we have to get friendly with
cmd!!!

srini
On Aug 19, 4:13 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> > I really don't want to load Cygwin or MSYS on my PC (I've had bad
> > things happen with Cygwin), I just want to use the .ads file +
> > some .o/.ali files in the same way as the standard library can be
> > used.
>
> Bad things with Cygwin? Well for me it is just an essential tool.
> Without it I'm lost when using Windows cmd.exe! Nothing can be done with
> this dumb shell! At the same time I running Cygwin/X and mrxvt to get a
> decent shell (rezise). I'm also enjoying connecting via ssh, using svn,
> cvs, git, bash... I'm even running sshd on my Windows box to connect to
> it from other machines. The only complaint I'll have is that Cygwin is a
> bit slow, but well worth using it.
>
> I'm using Cygwin since quite some years now. No problem and yes I'm
> upgrading Cygwin at least once a week.
>
> Just my 2 cents too :)
>
> Pascal.
>
> --
>
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
> --| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --|              http://www.obry.net
> --| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
> --|
> --| gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key C1082595

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-20  7:37         ` Ludovic Brenta
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-08-20  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com wrote:
> A pertinent question might be - will the gnat Project support with gpr
> files not serve the function. Perhaps ada based distributions should
> use that instead of the traditional config etc.

That's what Debian does, of course. The Debian packages contain the
preprocessed source files and hand-optimised project files that
integrate well with all other packages (XML/Ada, AWS and many others).
If you want binary packages for Windows, you'll have to make them
yourself. Feel free to join the GNU Ada project (http://
sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada) and contribute.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-20  7:49         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-08-20  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com

RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com a �crit :
> A pertinent question might be - will the gnat Project support with gpr
> files not serve the function. Perhaps ada based distributions should
> use that instead of the traditional config etc.

Project files are for building. That's only part of a project. You need
to create distrib tarball, launch the tests, install files, build and
install documentation... All this is better handled by makefile. I also
found the makefile good as it contains the extact command to launch for
building, installing...

Even for building I prefer:

    $ make

Than to have to remember the actual command line to use:

    $ gnat make -XLIBRARY_TYPE=static -XBUILD=Debug -P my_project

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-20 12:08         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2008-08-20 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com" <RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com> writes:

> FWIW
>
> A pertinent question might be - will the gnat Project support with gpr
> files not serve the function. Perhaps ada based distributions should
> use that instead of the traditional config etc.
>
> In any case, I found that on Windows for gnat based development, I am
> not sure cygwin works that well. for example, the -I and other such
> specifications want to interpret the argument using the native
> directory separator ie "\" and not the unix like "/"

Any recent GNAT will handle "/" in windows file/path names; what
version are you running that has problems with that?

Perhaps you mean the native path separator in ADA_PROJECT_PATH; that
is still a problem, but since you specify ADA_PROJECT_PATH once per
project, it's not a big deal.

Also, installing Cygwin at c:/ (_not_ c:/cygwin) makes things _much_
nicer; then windows c:/foo/bar is the _same_ as cygwin /foo/bar; no
/cygdrive/c/ or `cygpath -w /foo/bar' necessary. The Cygwin installer
complains when you do this; that's because it assumes you don't know
what you are doing, and might have some other bin directory at c:/bin.
Ignore the complaint!

> So if one is used to the command line - we have to get friendly with
> cmd!!!

Not me!

Except when trying to use an nfs client from Windows; Cygwin doesn't
have one, so I have to use another product, and then Cygwin doesn't
see those mounts. Obvious solution; pay someone to build a Cygwin nfs
client!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GTK Build from source
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-20 19:47         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2008-08-20 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com" <RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com> writes:

> In any case, I found that on Windows for gnat based development, I am
> not sure cygwin works that well. for example, the -I and other such
> specifications want to interpret the argument using the native
> directory separator ie "\" and not the unix like "/"

I prefer not to use -I etc; leave that sort of thig up to gnatmake,
which it does perfectly well.

You can of course have other problems using mixed Windows/Cygwin tools,
in our case with environment variables most of which get converted
properly by cygwin from the Windows set, but (if I remember correctly)
not tools such as gnatmake which don't understand /cygdrive/d/... and
need d:/... instead.

What we did was to get a tool to create .reg and .sh (and .el!) files
with equivalent and appropriate meanings: then you can double-click on
the .reg file for use on command shells, and thereafter source the .sh
file for cygwin shells from ~/.profile. A PITA to set up, but invisible
after it's done.

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-20 21:42           ` RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2008-08-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

i will join and hopefully contribute. thanks, srini

On Aug 20, 3:37 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com wrote:
> > A pertinent question might be - will the gnat Project support with gpr
> > files not serve the function. Perhaps ada based distributions should
> > use that instead of the traditional config etc.
>
> That's what Debian does, of course. The Debian packages contain the
> preprocessed source files and hand-optimised project files that
> integrate well with all other packages (XML/Ada, AWS and many others).
> If you want binary packages for Windows, you'll have to make them
> yourself. Feel free to join the GNU Ada project (http://
> sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada) and contribute.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-20 21:43           ` RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2008-08-20 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 20, 3:47 pm, Simon Wright <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:
> "RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com" <RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com> writes:
> > In any case, I found that on Windows for gnat based development, I am
> > not sure cygwin works that well. for example, the -I and other such
> > specifications want to interpret the argument using the native
> > directory separator ie "\" and not the unix like "/"
>
> I prefer not to use -I etc; leave that sort of thig up to gnatmake,
> which it does perfectly well.
>
> You can of course have other problems using mixed Windows/Cygwin tools,
> in our case with environment variables most of which get converted
> properly by cygwin from the Windows set, but (if I remember correctly)
> not tools such as gnatmake which don't understand /cygdrive/d/... and
> need d:/... instead.
>
> What we did was to get a tool to create .reg and .sh (and .el!) files
> with equivalent and appropriate meanings: then you can double-click on
> the .reg file for use on command shells, and thereafter source the .sh
> file for cygwin shells from ~/.profile. A PITA to set up, but invisible
> after it's done.

thanks for all interesting ideas. srini

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-21  8:31           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-08-21  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake

Stephen,

> Also, installing Cygwin at c:/ (_not_ c:/cygwin) makes things _much_
> nicer; then windows c:/foo/bar is the _same_ as cygwin /foo/bar; no
> /cygdrive/c/ or `cygpath -w /foo/bar' necessary. The Cygwin installer
> complains when you do this; that's because it assumes you don't know
> what you are doing, and might have some other bin directory at c:/bin.
> Ignore the complaint!

This is true, but I hate having lot of dir on my top level C drive. My
configuration is:

- I install Cygwin into c:\cygwin

- I mount my working directories:

   $ mount c:\\home /home
   $ mount c:\\opt /opt

As all my work is done into my home directory (/home/obry) no problem
either with /cygdrive/c or whatever. As I install some stuff on /opt the
mount point makes this possible too.

There is one single rule to follow for directories that must be accessed
by Cygwin and standard Windows applications (ming based compiler for
example):

    -> those directories must be accessed using an equivalent PATH

       c:\whatever must be equivalent to /whatever

So mount points are quite handy there.

> Not me!

Likewise! cmd.exe is junk for developers.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-21  8:33           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-08-21  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wright

Simon,

> You can of course have other problems using mixed Windows/Cygwin tools,
> in our case with environment variables most of which get converted
> properly by cygwin from the Windows set, but (if I remember correctly)
> not tools such as gnatmake which don't understand /cygdrive/d/... and
> need d:/... instead.

Right, GNAT is a ming based applications (using native Windows
interface) so /cygdrive/d cannot be understood as this is Cygwin stuff.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: GTK Build from source
@ 2008-08-22  9:39     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2008-08-22  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 19, 7:43 pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> I have to admit I find the whole "preprocessing" steps really
> annoying...
[snip]
> Of course portability is great and that preprocessing can be a better
> way of achieving it than other means but couldn't there be simple pre-
> built versions for say just Wintel and Linux/x86 - surely that would
> cover 95% of users of these "libre" versions?

Just checking the AWS list and it would seem that a large percentage
of questions are build problems...