* Ada rocket launches Ada satellite
@ 2002-03-01 14:46 Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2002-03-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tonight, Ariane 511 (whose flight control systems are in Ada) launched the Envisat1 satellite (with lots of Ada inside), a huge
environmental survey satellite. This was a real challenge:

-Envisat1 is the biggest satellite ever built in Europe, and the biggest environment survey satellite ever launched: 10m long (26m
deployed), for a weight of 8211Kg)

-Since it is a sun-synchronous satellite, the launch window was 0 (i.e. it had to be launched a the exact second).

-It was the first time an Ariane5 launched a polar satellite (i.e. towards north instead of East).

-It was the first time the long cap was used

-and more....

Thanks to new fuel-saving algorithms, it was possible to turn off the engine when the exact orbit was reached (with more than 3s
remaining fuel - quite a lot for such a rocket). Here is the result:

Requirement vs Achieved:
Req: Altitude: 7152.4km +- 7.5km. Ach: 7152.4km
Req: Orbital position: 70.3 degrees +- 1.9. Ach: 69.8
Req: Inclination: 98.5 degrees +-1.1. Ach: 98.5

All details available from http://www.arianespace.com/

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Ada rocket launches Ada satellite
@ 2002-03-01 15:25 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-03-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:46:36 +0100, "Jean-Pierre Rosen"
<rosen@adalog.fr> wrote:

>Tonight, Ariane 511 (whose flight control systems are in Ada) launched the Envisat1 satellite (with lots of Ada inside)

Does anyone know anything about the TCIU Software?

* Re: Ada rocket launches Ada satellite
@ 2002-03-01 16:45 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-03-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <a5o47e$mqv$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net>, "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> writes:

> Thanks to new fuel-saving algorithms, it was possible to turn off the engine when the exact orbit was reached (with more than 3s
> remaining fuel - quite a lot for such a rocket).

Does 3s mean 3 seconds ?

* Re: Ada rocket launches Ada satellite
@ 2002-03-01 16:49   ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2002-03-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Kilgallen" <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> a �crit dans le message news: $t+gmHbX4gtA@eisner.encompasserve.org...
> In article <a5o47e$mqv$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net>, "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> writes:
>
> > Thanks to new fuel-saving algorithms, it was possible to turn off the engine when the exact orbit was reached (with more than 3s
> > remaining fuel - quite a lot for such a rocket).
>
> Does 3s mean 3 seconds ?
Yes. Usually, fuel is computed to just reach the expected orbit, you don't want to embark extra weight!

@ 2002-03-19 15:46   ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2002-03-19 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3c7f9d6c.3475046@news.demon.co.uk>, John McCabe wrote:
"Does anyone know anything about the TCIU Software?"

Ahhh!, sorry, I looked up details of ENVISAT software for Ann Brandon,
but forgot your query ... and it will be a while before I can post
again. At least I seem to have access to a functioning NTTP server
again.

Since the only entry I saw not having Ada and assembly was for
one of the processors in the MERIS instrument, it is probably
written in Ada, and probably for a 1750.w