* Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-04  1:18 Bruce Conroy
From: Bruce Conroy @ 2004-06-04  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed Adabroker on my Debian system using
gnat 3.14p, and got the examples to work.

I then tried to install it on Fedora Core 2 using
gnat 3.3.3-7.

First the ./configure step failed, saying that
gnat 3.3.3-7 was less than gnat 3.12, so I had
to upgrade.

I edited the configure script to bypass the test
so the configure was successful, but the make step
failed with a bunch of errors like the following:

../../idlac/idlac ./File.idl
File.idl:0:15 Error: An idl file name should have a ".idl" extension.
<built-in>:0:19 Error: An idl file name should have a ".idl" extension.
 2 error(s) during parsing.

There hasn't been a mention of it for several years, so
I'm asking if it is still in use.

Bruce Conroy
bruceconroy@earthlink.net

* Re: Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-04  5:18 ` Oliver Kellogg
From: Oliver Kellogg @ 2004-06-04  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruce Conroy" <bruceconroy@earthlink.net> writes:

> There hasn't been a mention of it for several years, so
> I'm asking if it is still in use.

AdaBroker is no longer maintained, its successor is PolyORB:

http://libre.act-europe.fr/polyorb/

Hope this helps,

Oliver M. Kellogg

* Re: Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-05  2:19   ` Bruce Conroy
From: Bruce Conroy @ 2004-06-05  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Kellogg wrote:

> "Bruce Conroy" <bruceconroy@earthlink.net> writes:
>>
>> There hasn't been a mention of it for several years, so
>> I'm asking if it is still in use.
>>

> AdaBroker is no longer maintained, its successor is PolyORB:
>
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/polyorb/
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Oliver M. Kellogg
Thanks. It does help some. There are 2 problems.

1) it looks like a more heavyweight solution than I
need, and

2) it also gives nonsenseical error messages when I
try to install it. The fragment

                       declare
                           Ok : constant Boolean
                             := Add_Identifier (Result, Get_Token_String);
                           pragma Warnings (Off);
                           pragma Unreferenced (Ok);
                           pragma Warnings (On);
                           --  here, the addentifier is really added only if
                           --  we're not in the case where the module name
                           --  was already defined
                        begin
                           Set_Default_Repository_Id (Result);
                           Set_Initial_Current_Prefix (Result);
                        end;

aborts the make stage with the warning Ok not referenced (when
it clearly is.)

For what I want now, I'm going back to AdaBroker and Gnat 3.14p

blc

* Re: Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-05  9:54     ` Jerome Hugues
From: Jerome Hugues @ 2004-06-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <a5awc.21913$Tn6.19545@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Bruce Conroy wrote:

> 1) it looks like a more heavyweight solution than I
> need, and

Or more powerful and configurable, depending on your needs ..

> 2) it also gives nonsenseical error messages when I
> try to install it. The fragment
>
>                        declare
>                            Ok : constant Boolean
>                              := Add_Identifier (Result, Get_Token_String);
>                            pragma Warnings (Off);
>                            pragma Unreferenced (Ok);
>                            pragma Warnings (On);
>                            --  here, the addentifier is really added only if
>                            --  we're not in the case where the module name
>                            --  was already defined
>                         begin
>                            Set_Default_Repository_Id (Result);
>                            Set_Initial_Current_Prefix (Result);
>                         end;
>
> aborts the make stage with the warning Ok not referenced (when
> it clearly is.)

This is very odd, which GNAT do you use ? PolyORB builds on GCC 3.4.0
out of the box.

> For what I want now, I'm going back to AdaBroker and Gnat 3.14p

:(

--
Jerome

* Re: Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-05 11:44     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-06-05 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Bruce Conroy <bruceconroy@earthlink.net> writes:

> 2) it also gives nonsenseical error messages when I
> try to install it. The fragment
>
>                        declare
>                            Ok : constant Boolean
>                              := Add_Identifier (Result, Get_Token_String);
>                            pragma Warnings (Off);
>                            pragma Unreferenced (Ok);
>                            pragma Warnings (On);

This is bizarre code. I would delete the two Warnings pragmas

>                            --  here, the addentifier is really added only if
>                            --  we're not in the case where the module name
>                            --  was already defined
>                         begin
>                            Set_Default_Repository_Id (Result);
>                            Set_Initial_Current_Prefix (Result);
>                         end;
>
> aborts the make stage with the warning Ok not referenced (when
> it clearly is.)

The semantics of Unreferenced changed from GNAT 3.15 to GNAT 5.01,
which is equivalent to gcc 3.3; it now means "not read". I think if
you delete the Warnings pragmas, this will compile.

> For what I want now, I'm going back to AdaBroker and Gnat 3.14p

always a choice.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-05 17:11       ` Bruce Conroy
From: Bruce Conroy @ 2004-06-05 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerome Hugues wrote:

> This is very odd, which GNAT do you use ? PolyORB builds on GCC 3.4.0
> out of the box.

I thought I was up to date with 3.3.3-7. I guess I'm not.

blc

* Re: Anybody using Adabroker with GNAT 3.3?
@ 2004-06-05 17:36       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-06-05 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org> writes:

> >                        declare
> >                            Ok : constant Boolean
> >                              := Add_Identifier (Result, Get_Token_String);
> >                            pragma Warnings (Off);
> >                            pragma Unreferenced (Ok);
> >                            pragma Warnings (On);
>
> This is bizarre code. I would delete the two Warnings pragmas

That's not bizarre. These pragmas are their to kill warnings for old GNAT
version which does not have pragma Unreferenced implemented.

PascaL.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|