From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada research survey
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:16:56 -0500
Date: 2002-02-07T18:16:58+00:00	[thread overview]

I've said elsewhere that Ada could benefit from some serious market
research, so I'm not against this - even if it is not made public. If some
tool vendor(s) want some market research to better structure their products
and are willing to pay for the results, that still is beneficial to Ada.

That said, I'd agree that anonymous answers would get more web
participation. There are entirely too many SPAM artists out there who will
stoop to very underhanded ways of obtaining valid e-mail addresses - and we
have no way of distinguishing them from legitimate researchers. Many
marketing firms will ask for a variety of research data (which I am willing
to supply) along with a variety of personal contact data (which I am not
willing to supply) and not offer an option to opt-out of it. I may be
willing to answer a survey, but not if it invites SPAM from companies I have
no desire to communicate with or generates a variety of sales calls or
increases my load of junk mail.

(Note: I make it a policy to *NEVER* buy anything from anyone rude enough to
SPAM me or telephone-market me, so be advised that this is a WASTE OF YOUR
TIME to attempt to do so. Junk mail ends up shredded and on my compost heap,
so save the postage. When the heap gets too big I may start putting the junk
mail from one envelope into the business-reply envelope of another junk mail
just to make this even less cost effective. :-)

Market researchers would do well to listen to these gripes and possibly
conclude that the value of the personal contact information is not as
important as the loss of goodwill they will experience by
collecting/using/selling it. If the web page asking for the data becomes
anonymous, I'm willing to fill it out.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic