* gnat compiler -  help wanted
@ 2002-01-24 11:38 Tony
From: Tony @ 2002-01-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently having problems making a server process which deals
with the compilation of ada code from text delivered over a socket.

This task is a major subsystem of a project I am currently having a
look at,

My problem with the Gnat Source is following the dependencies.
i.e. where does gnatmake come from... which packages (there are quite
literally thousands of them).

I would be grateful for either newsgroup or personal messages,
Regards
Tony Gair

tonygair@nespamtome.btinternet.com

* Re: gnat compiler -  help wanted
@ 2002-01-24 14:38 ` Mark Johnson
From: Mark Johnson @ 2002-01-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony wrote:

> I am currently having problems making a server process which deals
> with the compilation of ada code from text delivered over a socket.

I don't suppose you could...
 - create a temporary directory
 - feed the text from the socket to gnatchop (directly or indirectly),
output to that temporary directory
 - run gnatmake in that temporary directory
 - send the results back to the originator
Or is that considered "cheating"?

> [snip]
> My problem with the Gnat Source is following the dependencies.
> i.e. where does gnatmake come from... which packages (there are quite
> literally thousands of them).

If you MUST figure out how gnatmake is built (which doesn't appear to be
a necessary precondition), I would suggest something as simple as...
  rm *.ali *.o
  gnatmake [switches] gnatmake 2>&1 | tee gnatmake.output
to rebuild gnatmake & capture the compiler output. Then edit the
gnatmake.output file to have the list of files that got compiled. I do
something similar when preparing an example to send to ACT for bug
reports.
  --Mark

* Re: gnat compiler -  help wanted
@ 2002-01-24 15:05 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2002-01-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

tonygair@btinternet.com (Tony) writes:

> I am currently having problems making a server process which deals
> with the compilation of ada code from text delivered over a socket.

I'm curious: why do you want to do that?

- Bob

* Re: gnat compiler -  help wanted
@ 2002-01-28 13:46   ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-01-28 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert A Duff wrote:

> tonygair@btinternet.com (Tony) writes:
>
> > I am currently having problems making a server process which deals
> > with the compilation of ada code from text delivered over a socket.
>
> I'm curious: why do you want to do that?

Probably automated assessment; we do exactly the same thing, compiling
student submissions and then running them in a sandbox and comparing
the output with a model solution. We just use gnatchop/gnatmake to
do the compilation. The only tricky bit is the sandbox...

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: gnat compiler -  help wanted
@ 2002-02-07 15:35   ` Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2002-02-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

John gets a gold star, I'm trying to make a document storage system, look
after code files for projects,
It would be a real bonus to be able to send documents to a compilation
engine, which could generate error reports and like, and return these to the
document storage system,
this could be something that may be easily set up using unix scripting
rather than a full fledged ada system.

I would be very interested in seeing the code you use for your assessment
system if it available for public perusal as it give me a bit of map of the
functional side,

If anyone is interested I can provide source code of the work so far of the
last partial version.

cheers