From: "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org>
Subject: Re: How did you get started in Ada?
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:43:12 -0500
Date: 2002-02-05T17:43:13+00:00	[thread overview]

I got into it from a Business Data Processing (Cobol/Mainframe) background.
I got interested in Ada and learned all I could about it which gave me a
skill needed at the time by DoD embedded developers. (Compilers were barely
in existence at the time - so finding someone who could spell "Ada" and had
actually seen a compiler was a bit of a rarity.) I also worked through a
bunch of home study courses in Electronics that were available from Heathkit
at the time, so I developed some working knowledge of all those doohickies
on a circuit card. The rest is kind of On The Job Training.

You may find that if you've got a solid background in Ada, some business
using Ada will likely want to consider you even without any embedded
experience because you have a skill they need and it isn't found everywhere.
You can also develop some knowledge of electronics through informal means.
Remember that they're not hiring you to design circuits - but it helps to
know something about the hardware.

Don't underestimate the fact that often, more important than some set of
skills, is your mental attitude. Put yourself in your (potential) boss's
situation and immediately start talking about how you can solve his
problems. A guy who comes in the door with an attitude of "Don't worry about
your problems - I'll find a way to make them go away for you!" is going to
be perceived as a big advantage over some other candidate who may have a
better fitting background but comes off as just willing to do what he's
told.

And if you hear of any Ada work that is going on in South Florida, let me
know. I know people who would entertain the notion of getting out of the C
gig. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic