* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-29 18:23 ` chris.danx
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2002-01-29 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JOL" <181873@cienz.unizar.es> wrote in message
news:Xns91A5C24417198JOL@155.210.11.17...
> A example, please.

DirectX, AdaGraph, JEWL, Gwindows, GtkAda, Opengl...?  You'll have to be
more specific before we can help you.

Bye,
Chris

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-29 18:29 ` Stephen Leake
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-01-29 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

JOL <181873@cienz.unizar.es> writes:

> A example, please.
> Thanks you.

The recently posted Othello game is a good example of graphics in Ada
for MS Windows or X Windows: http://greenlime.com/users/adrian.hoe/

Here's a Windex application with bitmapped graphics in Ada:
http://users.erols.com/leakstan/Stephe/Ada/mandelplot.html

--
-- Stephe

* Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-29 18:36 JOL
From: JOL @ 2002-01-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

A example, please.
Thanks you.

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-30  3:31 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2002-01-30  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

GWindows - http://www.adapower.com/gwindows
About 20 examples here tutorial style -
http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/user_guide.html
Many more inside the package.

David Botton

"JOL" <181873@cienz.unizar.es> wrote in message
> A example, please.
> Thanks you.

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-30 10:22 ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-01-30 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

JOL wrote:

> A example, please.
> Thanks you.

Have a look at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/jewl/. In particular,
look at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/jewl/docs/windows.htm#5

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-30 20:07 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2002-01-30 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Claw Introductory version works with GNAT, and contains a variety of
examples. Get it at
http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/claw/clawintro.html.

        Randy Brukardt
        R.R. Software, Inc.

JOL <181873@cienz.unizar.es> wrote in message ...
>A example, please.
>Thanks you.

* Thanks, Thanks, Thanks: Gracias a todos
@ 2002-01-30 22:35   ` JOL
From: JOL @ 2002-01-30 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote in

> GWindows - http://www.adapower.com/gwindows
> About 20 examples here tutorial style -
> http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/user_guide.html
> Many more inside the package.
>
> David Botton
>
> "JOL" <181873@cienz.unizar.es> wrote in message
>> A example, please.
>> Thanks you.

Thanks...

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-30 23:38   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-01-30 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The Claw Introductory version works with GNAT, and contains a variety of
>examples. Get it at
>http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/claw/clawintro.html.
  There are also various graphics examples using Claw on www.adapower.com
For three rather different examples see:
http://www.adapower.com/os/orbitals.html
http://www.adapower.com/os/windmine.html
http://www.adapower.com/lang/diners_src.zip and diners_exe.zip

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-31  0:22   ` Necros
From: Necros @ 2002-01-31  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the best graphics package to generate a game with bitmaps and image
scrolls ??? Thanks,

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Linux, how?
@ 2002-01-31  4:10   ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2002-01-31  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:23:12 -0000, chris.danx <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "JOL" <181873@cienz.unizar.es> wrote in message
>> A example, please.
>
> DirectX, AdaGraph, JEWL, Gwindows, GtkAda, Opengl...?  You'll have to be
> more specific before we can help you.

How about OpenGL? I'm taking a programming class on graphics using
OpenGL and GLUT, and I have my choice of languages for programs. I have
found a binding for OpenGL and GLUT on the web, but it was painfully
thin -
procedure glutInit (argcp : access Integer; argv  : access Interfaces.C.Strings.Chars_Ptr);
is overly difficult to use for Ada, when all it needs is the command
line or a reasonable facismilie thereof. I can't use anything that would
hide the GL, though, so it has to be reasonably thin. Anyone know of a
suitable binding to OpenGL and GLUT?

I guess I could do it in Java (which I've only glanced at) or Fortran 77
(which is suitably perverse), or just plain C/C++. Any one know of any
more interesting languages with OpenGL bindings - Ocaml, or APL or the
like?

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Windows, how?
@ 2002-01-31  6:14   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-01-31  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The Claw Introductory version works with GNAT, and contains a variety of
> examples. Get it at
> http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/claw/clawintro.html.
  There are also example programs on www.adapower.com that use the
intro version of Claw in several different type of graphics:

@ 2002-01-31  9:02     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-31  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

SDL is used a lot. http://www.libsdl.org/

Ada binding to SDL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/adasdl/

--
Preben Randhol         �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Linux, how?
@ 2002-01-31 15:26     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-31 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> wrote in message news:<a3ag3k$aai1@news.cis.okstate.edu>...
> How about OpenGL? I'm taking a programming class on graphics using
> OpenGL and GLUT, and I have my choice of languages for programs. I have
> found a binding for OpenGL and GLUT on the web, but it was painfully
> thin -
> procedure glutInit (argcp : access Integer; argv  : access Interfaces.C.Strings.Chars_Ptr);
> is overly difficult to use for Ada, when all it needs is the command
> line or a reasonable facismilie thereof. I can't use anything that would
> hide the GL, though, so it has to be reasonably thin. Anyone know of a
> suitable binding to OpenGL and GLUT?

Why not just make it yourself? Bindings aren't all that tough,
particularly when they are "semi-thick" bindings and you already have
thick bindings to work off of. You'd only need to make ones for the
routines you use.

I'm not just saying this; I've done it. I had an AI class that was
using the PD CLIPS AI shell, and like you I was given my choice of
language to use. The project I made is here -
http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/Fodderbot/Fodderbot.html , and
the semi-thick CLIPS bindings I made for it are here -
http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/AdaClips/AdaClips.html .

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: Graphics in GNAT for Linux, how?
@ 2002-01-31 19:39       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-31 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) wrote in message news:<4519e058.0201310726.23c4ac52@posting.google.com>...
> Why not just make it yourself? Bindings aren't all that tough,
> particularly when they are "semi-thick" bindings and you already have
> thick bindings to work off of. You'd only need to make ones for the
  ^^^^^
    |    Whoops. That should be:
  thin
--

@ 2002-01-31 20:28     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2002-01-31 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

A combination of GWindows for your windows and DirectX and if you need it
OpenGL. There is an example of doing OpenGL with GWindows on the GWindows
page - http://www.adapower.com/gwindows

David Botton

@ 2002-02-01  1:12     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-02-01  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Starner" <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:23:12 -0000, chris.danx <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> > "JOL" <181873@cienz.unizar.es> wrote in message
> >> A example, please.
> >
> > DirectX, AdaGraph, JEWL, Gwindows, GtkAda, Opengl...?  You'll have to be
> > more specific before we can help you.
>
> How about OpenGL? I'm taking a programming class on graphics using
> OpenGL and GLUT, and I have my choice of languages for programs.

Nice.  I hope they let us do that next year.

> I have found a binding for OpenGL and GLUT on the web, but it was
painfully
> thin -
> procedure glutInit (argcp : access Integer; argv  : access
Interfaces.C.Strings.Chars_Ptr);
> is overly difficult to use for Ada, when all it needs is the command
> line or a reasonable facismilie thereof. I can't use anything that would
> hide the GL, though, so it has to be reasonably thin. Anyone know of a
> suitable binding to OpenGL and GLUT?

Not beyond what you've got for Ada, you'd have to create your own thick glut
binding as Ted suggested.

> I guess I could do it in Java (which I've only glanced at) or Fortran 77
> (which is suitably perverse), or just plain C/C++. Any one know of any
> more interesting languages with OpenGL bindings - Ocaml, or APL or the
> like?

If your considering a functional language, maybe Haskell is worth
considering?  It's a nice language and there's a binding for glut available
(http://haskell.org/HOpenGL/ looks like the official site).  There is
atleast compiler available called GHC (Glasgow Haskell Compiler), and an
interpreter Hugs.  I don't know if the binding works with hugs or GHC, you'd
need to check.

Running a search for OCaml and opengl on google with give you quite a few
hits, you'd need to judge for yourself what you need.

Chris