From: pontius@btv.MBI.com.invalid (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: alerting Ada advocates
Date: 18 Jan 2002 14:10:44 GMT
Date: 2002-01-18T14:10:44+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4519e058.0201171152.422499ee@posting.google.com>,
        dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) writes:
> Peter Hermann <ica2ph@iris16.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message news:<a26gch$6i8$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>...
>> subject: Pascal perspective
>> Newsgroups: comp.software-eng
>
> There's a posting on Slashdot today (in the VHDL topic) that
> promulgates the "designed by committe" myth too. Fortunately, I just
> happened to have 5 moderator points today. :-)

And I happened to throw in a reply tying VHDL vs Verilog back to Pascal
vs C, coupled it to Ada, and wondered why when we're becoming more and
more security conscious, we're still coding in C, leaving prevention of
buffer overflows and the like to due diligence alone.

No mods, and the only reply I got was that I should ditch VHDL and use
the Verilog equivalent of lint.

Security concerns come up frequently on /. and some fraction of the
time I try to throw in a plug for strong typing. I don't know if I'd
rather be ignored or flamed, but except for spawning the "Ada was a
babe!" subthread, I've always been ignored.

Dale Pontius
NOT speaking for IBM