From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com>
Subject: Re: Code completion in ada IDE's
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:31:16 -0500
Date: 2005-09-27T15:31:16-05:00	[thread overview]

mchm wrote:
> You for the answers on the matter of Ada IDE, but the thing about this
> language is that is horrible for beginners speccially when they do not
> have a manual in their possesion, perhaps it would be better idea to
> copy a documentation capabilities from Java?? lets say while i am
> writing my packages code i can place specially inlined comments and then
> i can produce for example a HTML pages for it ??

There's a very nice tool for Ada that does this called AdaBrowse.  It's
available at http://home.tiscalinet.ch/t_wolf/tw/ada95/adabrowse.  It
works very well and is well-maintained.

AdaBrowse processes one or more source code files and extracts
information about the package, type, subprogram, etc. declarations,
along with any comments that are part of those declarations, and formats
it as a set of javadoc-like hyperlinked html files.

It's very configurable, so can adapt to your coding style (like whether
you place associated comments above or below individual type definitions).

> Pehaps it is good idea to propose a community Request list like in Java
> that should allow users to point the needs of extensons for this language.

This does exist, although it's probably not as informal as a "community
request list".  There's a formal way of submitting requests and
suggestions for changes and additions to the Ada language that anyone
can participate in, and they're taken quite seriously.  Ada 2005 is
pretty much finalized, so nothing more will be getting into it.  The
process doesn't stop, though, and after a rest I expect to start seeing
suggestions picking back up.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com