* List Contailer Status as of 1/2/2
@ 2002-01-02 15:37 Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since folks are probably starting to straggle back in from vacation, so I
thought I ought drop a quick note on where we are with the List Container
effort.

o  We have achieved consensus on the major features and approaches for the
"unbounded lists" package. There may still be some minor quibbles about missing
routines or badly named objects, but that was not judged serious enough to hold
up work on implementations. The package spec under question (aka: Strawman 1.4)
can be viewed at
http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/Containers-Lists-Unbounded.ads.html .

o  Based on the above, work has begun on implementations. Someone (sorry, I
forget who) has offered to make an implementation based on an existing component
library. I'm working on one from scratch. Right now, I have every routine in the
spec code up to "Modify". I have them all tested up through the non-iterator
based "Remove" routine. That includes a test harness which I plan to release
with the body implementation. The test-harness is black-box, so it ought to be
usable by anyone building their own implementation.

o  There has been some discussion of naming the facility "Grace", both as an
acronum for "Generic Reusable Ada Container Environment", and in honor of Grace
Hopper. I'm tentatively using that name because I have to use something, but I
don't think we have consensus on it yet.

If needed, I'll post another update next Monday, when presumably just about
everyone will be back. Hopefully by then we'll have a full implementation to
work with.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: List Contailer Status as of 1/2/2
@ 2002-01-02 16:42 ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 2002-01-02 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> o  There has been some discussion of naming the facility "Grace", both as
an
> acronum for "Generic Reusable Ada Container Environment", and in honor of
Grace
> Hopper. I'm tentatively using that name because I have to use something,
but I
> don't think we have consensus on it yet.

For what it's worth, GRACE was/is the name of the Ada reusable library
developed by EVB Consulting (in Ada83).  It would be confusing to use the
same name, even if there are no trademark issues (and I imagine there are).

---
Patrick Rogers                       Consulting and Training in:
http://www.classwide.com          Real-Time/OO Languages
progers@classwide.com               Hard Deadline Schedulability Analysis
(281)648-3165                                 Software Fault Tolerance

* Re: List Contailer Status as of 1/2/2
@ 2002-01-02 17:23 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-01-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:

> http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/Containers-Lists-Unbounded.ads.html .

I think we agreed to change the profile of Passive_Iterator, didn't
we?

* Re: List Contailer Status as of 1/2/2
@ 2002-01-02 19:57   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-02 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87666k3bvo.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>, Florian Weimer says...

>Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:
>
>> http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/Containers-Lists-Unbounded.ads.html .
>
>I think we agreed to change the profile of Passive_Iterator, didn't
>we?

Yes, and it is changed in the version I am working on. The "Quit" parameter is
"in out", and the body for Passive_Iterator sets its value to "False" before the
first call to Operation, if I am remembering the code correctly.

There may be some other minor modifcations to the public part of the spec at
that website (most notably, the root package name), but I've avoided that where
possible. There may be some stuff we want to change later once we see how things
work. But such issues I'd prefer to leave to the group to decide.

---

@ 2002-01-02 20:52   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-02 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <WLGY7.715$ti6.443229358@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, Pat Rogers
says...
>For what it's worth, GRACE was/is the name of the Ada reusable library
>developed by EVB Consulting (in Ada83).  It would be confusing to use the
>same name, even if there are no trademark issues (and I imagine there are).

That would certainly be a big problem. It wouldn't nessecarily be fatal if we
stick to calling it "Grace", rather than "GRACE" (which is indeed their
trademark). However, some don't like the idea of further associating Ada with
the military (even indirectly).

I've written a note to EVB for their opinion on the matter.

---

@ 2002-01-07  3:34 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-01-07  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
: Since folks are probably starting to straggle back in from vacation, so I
: thought I ought drop a quick note on where we are with the List Container
: effort.

At the risk of being looked at from the side, could we agree on
internationalising dates in subject lines? I mean, there is an
ISO standard... and it's quite reassuring to read, say 2/2/2 vs
02.02.02 vs 02.02.02, but 1/2/2 vs <your guess here>...
(I know this has been discussed but if
ISO dates are not acceptable then why not 2 I 2001 or something
:-) O.K. there are headers in news articles, but still.

Georg