From: George Shapovalov <gshapovalov@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Yet another gnat bug
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 04:28:45 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2019-02-04T04:28:45-08:00	[thread overview]

On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 10:37:04 PM UTC+1, Per Sandberg wrote:
> Well I think its more about deeply nested generics, since that is a real
> nightmare to implement in it's full context.
Not exactly as far as I can tell.
I have played some more with the code and could simplify it even more - there is no need for that extra top package level. Same thing happens if the interfaces are declared at the top, and overridden in a child. Flat package structure (still generic) compiles fine. Removing generics (and instead doing "type Real is new Float" at the top) given unstable behavior - one time I got the same bug triggered, but after I renamed sources (originally names "workaround" to "alternative" to reflect better the situation) gnat started to compile it properly (giving error message about declaring vars of abstract type). Apparently it has a sense of humor - this is literally the situation of "what is written here is a lie" :).

Anyway, I have created a github project to keep the code producing gnat bugs I have so far encountered (only one at the moment, but thee are two more I need to clean-up and report). This project shows the code triggering the bug, as well as workarounds and the status of the bug report. I think such a resource would be rather useful (given that AdaCore themselves don't really support the bug tracker, at least for the community version [1]). So, please feel free to consult or even contribute, if there are any more commonly encountered bugs..

The project can be found here:
https://github.com/gerr135/gnat_bugs

[1] I chatted with them briefly 2 days ago on Fosdem and they told me that they prefer an email report and that tracker is not really functional for a community version at least.