From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: "Open Core" and the Ada Community
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 11:44:04 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2016-01-07T11:44:04-08:00	[thread overview]

<<I'm still wondering about the "...and the Ada Community" part of the
subject, though.>>

His words and what will be our response:

"The software freedom world is more complex than it once was. Ten years ago, we advocates could tell people to look for the GPL label and know that the software would automatically be part of a freedom-friendly, software sharing community. Not all GPL'd software is created equal anymore" ... "The new advice is: judge the freedom of your codebase not only on its license, but also on the diversity of the community that contributes to it."

So as an Ada community, what are we doing to turn Ada in to a "freedom-friendly, software sharing community."

AdaCore has taken some very small positive steps with the move of some software to github. Certainly it will be hard for them to play make pretend and say you have to ignore the headers and the runtime linking exception is void in this case.

What positive steps can we do to for FSF GNAT? Placing it on footing and raising awareness I've done with GetAdaNow.com and the mascot, etc.

However we need a real team taking charge of a fork of FSF GNAT and a foundation to become "true" stewards of the full freedoms GNAT version.

I am the wrong person to do the fork or would have done it already. My skills lay in other areas of SE then compilers. Are there others willing to get involved with such a fork?

David Botton