* The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-27 19:37 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-27 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am happy to announce the winner of the Ada Mascot Competition - Entry #5 - "Lady Fairy" the hummingbird. The mascot was designed by Leah Goodreau.

http://gnoga.com/mascot.html

Leah writes "My mascot was inspired by Ada Lovelace's adolescent fascination with flight and Charles Babbage's nickname for her, "Lady Fairy." The coloration of the mascot references the Asian fairy-bluebird, while the silhouette is a hummingbird because of their famed speed and sleekness."

If have asked Leah for permission to give out her contact information if any one is interested in custom versions of her work, any one interested in receiving her information, please feel free to contact me.

David Botton

* Re: The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-27 22:20 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-27 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've updated http://GetAdaNow.com to use the Mascot for a FSF GNAT logo.

For the Learn Ada site I'm working on I'll probably do a more "mascot" like version as an avatar for, etc.

@ 2015-03-28  8:11 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2015-03-28  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am happy to announce the winner of the Ada Mascot Competition - Entry #5 - "Lady Fairy" the hummingbird. The mascot was designed by Leah Goodreau.
>
> http://gnoga.com/mascot.html

Great!

What are the terms of use of this art?
Assuming the terms are reasonably open, where can I get the original or high-definition files?

BTW - don't forget about T-shirts with this logo. ;-)

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.msobczak.com * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-29  1:37   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-29  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What are the terms of use of this art?

From contest rules:

"All submissions must be original and you agree are public domain on submission"

BTW - I've added a link to Leah Goodreau's gallery for those interested in her doing any work on the mascot or other work - https://leahgoodreau.carbonmade.com/

I have added a link to the original PDF on http://gnoga.com/mascot.html

> BTW - don't forget about T-shirts with this logo. ;-)

If it catches on, I think a good idea.

@ 2015-03-29  7:43     ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2015-03-29  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 29/03/2015 03:37, David Botton a écrit :
> I have added a link to the original PDF on http://gnoga.com/mascot.html
PDF is not the easiest format for integration on web pages or other
documents... Would be nice to have it in the usual graphic formats
(especially with transparent background, that allows a lot of visual
effects)

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-29  9:15   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2015-03-29  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com> writes:

> BTW - don't forget about T-shirts with this logo. ;-)

Definitely!

Jacob
--
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
 doesn't go away."

* Re: The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-29 14:30       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-29 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you click on the thumbnail you will have a high resolution PNG.

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 3:43:48 AM UTC-4, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> PDF is not the easiest format for integration on web pages or other
> documents... Would be nice to have it in the usual graphic formats
> (especially with transparent background, that allows a lot of visual
> effects)

Also PDF is raster which means that you can convert it to any format desired at any size desired with transparent background, you can use inkscape or imagemagic

@ 2015-03-29 14:31     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > BTW - don't forget about T-shirts with this logo. ;-)
>
> Definitely!

I'll see if I can set something up on-line then. Any profits (I'll see if can be set to zero) I'll feed in to prizes for upcoming contests.

@ 2015-03-29 17:26       ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2015-03-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 7:32:00 AM UTC-7, David Botton wrote:
> > > BTW - don't forget about T-shirts with this logo. ;-)
> >
> > Definitely!
>
> I'll see if I can set something up on-line then. Any profits (I'll see if can be set to zero) I'll feed in to prizes for upcoming contests.

I would like to order couple of them in advance before on-line is set up.

Anh Vo

* Re: The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-29 17:42         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I would like to order couple of them in advance before on-line is set up.

I'll make a point to get on it this week then :)

* Re: The winner of the Ada Mascot Competition is.....
@ 2015-03-30  8:57 ` vincent
From: vincent @ 2015-03-30  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Leah writes "My mascot was inspired by Ada Lovelace's adolescent fascination with flight and Charles Babbage's nickname for her, "Lady Fairy." The coloration of the mascot references the Asian fairy-bluebird, while the silhouette is a hummingbird because of their famed speed and sleekness."

Great choice ! I like especialy the idea of speed and sleekness.

Vincent Diemunsch