From: "Ed Falis" <falis@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: Alsys Ada question
Date: 2000/03/08
Date: 2000-03-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Scott Ingram" <scott@silver.jhuapl.edu> wrote in message
news:38C53DCC.C89AE4BF@silver.jhuapl.edu...
> I've inherited a system that was built using
> "DOS Alsys Ada 4.2 for 80X86 and cross."
>
> In the sources, there is a "with" clause for a
> package "Unsigned," which I do not recall being
> a standard Ada83 package...so I am presuming that
> this package was supplied by Alsys with the compiler.
> Can anyone confirm or deny that supposition?
>
> Also, who would I contact to see if that product is
> still available?

4.2 was superceded in the early 90's, so you're working with old code.  The
last of that line of compilers that directly supported the unsigned package
(if I recall correctly) was the ActivAda cross 386, which was closely
related to the 16 bit compiler for 86/186/286.  That probably bit the dust
in 96-97.  Space Station is still using a variant of it by special contract
with Aonix (last I heard) for the MDM's that were discussed in another
thread.

The contents of that package can be easily replaced by Unsigned_8,
Unsigned_16 and Unsigned_32 in any Ada 95 compiler.  The correspondence is
Byte, Word and Dword from package Unsigned.

You could try contacting Aonix about the compiler.  As Richard suggested,
Ada 95 is more likely the way to go.

- Ed Falis
Former product manager for Alsys X86 products.