From: "AG" <ang@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Why would it take so long to write an Ada compiler?
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:17:56 -0800
Date: 2002-12-15T14:17:56-08:00	[thread overview]

"Mike" <spamnotme@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1865cca835f2ccee98991a@News.CIS.DFN.DE...

> Hello,
>
> I've read somewhere that to make an Ada95 compliant compiler, 50 years-man
of
> work are generally considered what is necessary.
>
> How is this huge quantity of development time justified? Perhaps required
for
> the standard library?

I'll bite this time ;) Do you really consider 50 man-years a *lot* for a
compiler?
Let's see ... that equals 25 people for 2 years ... Hmmm, including all the
overhead
and what not. Of course that must include QA too. Not to mention some
regular
operational overhead and the chance/risk of failure which you would also
have
to provide for (in man-years, that is, since someone would need to handle
that).