* Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-08 17:46 ab
From: ab @ 1995-03-08 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did any of you attempt to print the PostScript version of the Ada 95
Rationale taken either from the Ada Information Clearing House host
or as distributed with Gnat-2.03 by NYU?

I tried to print them a number of times, each time unsuccessfully.
The print breaks down with PostScript errors. (The Gnat-2.03 distributed
version printed first 3 chapters and then broke down, the other version
breaks down on the first page.)
I am wondering now whether there is some problem with the distributed
.ps files or whether I have a local setup problem. (I am printing
on a PS printer attached to SS-2 with Sun OS 4.1.3 using NewsPrint software.
Yes, I do print a lot of (other) postscript files without problems).

The error log file is not very helpful. For exammple printing
the file from AICH:

% \lpr prolog.ps rat1.ps

I get in the log file:
/usr/export/newsprint/printer_classes/PostScript/bin/postio: PostScript Error
User: ab@captblood
Date of previous error: Wed Mar  8 12:40:14 EST 1995

With thanks,
--

Dr. A.Bykat
Fuller E. Callaway Professor

* Re: Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-08 18:21 ` Garlington KE
From: Garlington KE @ 1995-03-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

ab@captblood.armstrong.edu wrote:
: Did any of you attempt to print the PostScript version of the Ada 95
: Rationale taken either from the Ada Information Clearing House host
: or as distributed with Gnat-2.03 by NYU?

: I tried to print them a number of times, each time unsuccessfully.

I was also unable to print them on a DEC laser printer. Unlike the other
Ada 95 documents, the Rationale was developed using something other than
FrameMaker, and so the PostScript version is different.

I tried to get it fixed, to no avail. The text version is OK, though.

Ken Garlington                  GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com
F-22 Computer Resources         Lockheed Fort Worth Co.

If LFWC or the F-22 program has any opinions, they aren't telling me.

* Re: Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-09 13:29   ` Chris Morgan
From: Chris Morgan @ 1995-03-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
  Yes, I cannot print the Postscript Rationale either. Any illumination
welcome. I have tried this from a Sun SPARC5 machine talking to a DEC
Printserver. It wasted so much paper I'm frightened of trying again!

Chris

-- Chris Morgan
-- SMCS Project, BAeSma Ltd, Scientific House, 40-44 Coombe Rd,New
Malden
-- Surrey, England, UK
-- Currently grappling with Ada95 via GNAT2.03 on Sun-SPARC-SOLARIS2.3
-- Member, Team Ada

* Re: Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-09 16:30 Chris Jaensch
From: Chris Jaensch @ 1995-03-09 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

ab@captblood.armstrong.edu wrote:
> Did any of you attempt to print the PostScript version of the Ada 95
> Rationale taken either from the Ada Information Clearing House host
> or as distributed with Gnat-2.03 by NYU?

> I tried to print them a number of times, each time unsuccessfully.

Yes, I have printed the latest postscript version of the Ada95 Rationale
(taken from the Ada IC). It only requires the following small modification
of the >> prolog.ps << file.

1. modify line 1 as follows:
%!PS-Adobe-2.0

2. delete lines 8-15 (i.e. the entire "ExitServer" block).

Then simply follow the instructions or include physically the prolog.ps
file at the top of each document file (rat_[1-6].ps). The latter method
enables one also to preview on screen (at least on a NeXT) each document
file.

Christian Jaensch              Institute for Flight Mechanics and Control
Consultant                                        University of Stuttgart
Voice:(+49) 881-64947   FAX:(+49) 881-637444              Forststrasse 86
E-mail: chris@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de              70176 Stuttgart

        Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world,
        for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it.
                                                           DESCARTES

* Thanks!! Re: Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-10 14:31     ` ab
From: ab @ 1995-03-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you to all that replied to my question about printing
the .ps files for Ada 95 Rationale as distributed by the AICH.

As pointed out by Thomas Peter Carr, The files should be printed by
prepending the prolog.ps file to each part before printing it, not
just printing the two. That is
   % cat prolog.ps rat_1.ps | lpr
does it.

With thanks,

ab
--

@ 1995-03-11 11:52 ` paus
From: paus @ 1995-03-11 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9503091630.AA11032@ifr1.Luftfahrt.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>  writes:
> ab@captblood.armstrong.edu wrote:
> > Did any of you attempt to print the PostScript version of the Ada 95
> > Rationale taken either from the Ada Information Clearing House host
> > or as distributed with Gnat-2.03 by NYU?
>
> > I tried to print them a number of times, each time unsuccessfully.
>
> Yes, I have printed the latest postscript version of the Ada95 Rationale
> (taken from the Ada IC). It only requires the following small modification
> of the >> prolog.ps << file.

There was a little bug in the posting from Chris so you where probably
not able to reed it. (It was a NeXTmail attachement) Here is the missing
part. It is the diff output of the old prolog.ps file and the new one.

ifr12> diff prolog.old prolog.ps
1c1
< %!PS-Adobe-2.0 ExitServer
---
> %!PS-Adobe-2.0
8,15d7
< %%BeginExitServer: 0
<  userdict /msinifile known
<  {msinifile (POSTSCRP) eq {stop} if} if
<  serverdict begin 0 exitserver
<  userdict /msorigstate known {msorigstate restore} if
<  save /msorigstate exch def
<  /msinifile (POSTSCRP) def
< %%EndExitServer
ifr12>

* Re: Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-11 23:44     ` The Pinhead
From: The Pinhead @ 1995-03-11 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <D56DGD.MtD@demon.co.uk> chris.morgan@baesema.co.uk (Chris Morgan) writes:
     Yes, I cannot print the Postscript Rationale either. Any illumination
   welcome. I have tried this from a Sun SPARC5 machine talking to a DEC
   Printserver. It wasted so much paper I'm frightened of trying again!

I've successfully printed the Rationale on an HP Laserjet IIIsi with
the postscript cartridge.

--
Ronald Cole                               E-mail: zippy@ecst.csuchico.edu
Senior Software Engineer                          ronald@optx.com

* Re: Ada 95 docs: Rationale
@ 1995-03-12  0:26 ` Chris Morgan
From: Chris Morgan @ 1995-03-12  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9503091630.AA11032@ifr1.Luftfahrt.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
Chris Jaensch <chris@IFR.LUFTFAHRT.UNI-STUTTGART.DE> writes:

Thanks, that works perfectly. The AdaIC might consider either fixing
the files or including this fix in the readme.

-- Chris Morgan
-- SMCS Project, BAeSema Ltd, Scientific House, 40-44 Coombe Rd,New