* Re: Ada 2005 language update(s) & programmer productivity
       [not found] <12kpiuqn3udoea0@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2006-11-04 18:12 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-11-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

ME wrote:

> What Ada 2005 language update(s) will turn out to have the biggest impact
> on programmer productivity?

Depends on the field in which the programmer works. My top three with a
target desktop applications would be:

1) Interfaces
2) Container Classes Library
3) Anomumus Access Types

But if you do i.E. Real-Time work it will be something else. Ada is designed
as a multi paradigm language from the beginning and as far as I know [1]
only Oz supports more paradigms as language feature (as opposed to library
features). So in every domain programmers will choose there favourite new
feature.

Martin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-paradigm_programming_language
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Ada 2005 language update(s) & programmer productivity
@ 2006-11-07  2:47   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2006-11-07  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> ME wrote:
>
> > What Ada 2005 language update(s) will turn out to have the biggest
impact
> > on programmer productivity?
>
> Depends on the field in which the programmer works.

I agree with this; real-time programmers have very different requirements
than those on desktops or even soft-real time servers.

I would probably say "limited with" (because it allows a natural structuring
of interrelated packages that wasn't possible in Ada 95) and the containers
library (because it makes something powerful available to everyone in a
standard way).

But it's probably a little early to say (for instance, I haven't used any
new Ada features in programs yet). The biggest value may be in something
that appears less critical now.

                      Randy.